Author Topic: GPS Importing Problems  (Read 7133 times)

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
GPS Importing Problems
« on: November 27, 2009, 01:53:47 PM »
All,

I am having problem importing GPS with the new version of PM (4.6.2.1) .   Did anything change with the new version?  I have been using the AMOD GPS logger for about 6 months and it has always worked well.

What happens now is when I click plot GPS Log the program seems to lock up.  I have let it run about 15+ min and it does not seem to be doing anything. 

This is on a windows XP machine with PM 4.6.2.1
Chris noland<br />www.thenolands.com

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
Re: GPS Importing Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
All,

I just downgraded to 4.6.1 and it now works fine.   not sure what is going on
Chris noland<br />www.thenolands.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Chris,

I just downgraded to 4.6.1 and it now works fine.   not sure what is going on

Version 4.6.2.2 will solve that problem.  You can get a beta of it here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4933.0

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:16:13 AM »
With 4.6.2 importing GPS data did not work -- PM would freeze when clicking on the plot button.

4.6.2.2 would import the data, but then would lock up later (e.g. when switching to a new folder in the navigator, something that PM normally does successfully of course).

Since I am working on some very important images, I could not risk the beta, so I am back with 4.6.1 which seem to work fine.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:31:03 AM »
Deven,

With 4.6.2 importing GPS data did not work -- PM would freeze when clicking on the plot button.

4.6.2.2 would import the data, but then would lock up later (e.g. when switching to a new folder in the navigator, something that PM normally does successfully of course).

Since I am working on some very important images, I could not risk the beta, so I am back with 4.6.1 which seem to work fine.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

How does one reproduce this issue?  The change to the Import GPS Coordinates code was very simple and couldn't possibly have any side effects.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:06:41 AM »
Kirk,

Normally I would try to help out and try to reproduce the problem, but I simply don't have the time right now.  After PM 4.6.2.2 beta froze twice on me I gave up and posted a report, and downgraded to 4.6.1.  4.6.1 imported about 8000 GPS coordinates without a hickup.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:24:11 AM »
Deven,

Normally I would try to help out and try to reproduce the problem, but I simply don't have the time right now.  After PM 4.6.2.2 beta froze twice on me I gave up and posted a report, and downgraded to 4.6.1.  4.6.1 imported about 8000 GPS coordinates without a hickup.

OK, I'll try and get our Q/A guys to reproduce.  What image types are you applying GPS coordinates to?  JPEG?  NEF?  CR2?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »
D3 and D3x NEF files.

Offline Lemonicious

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
I've got the same problem with 4.6.2.1 of Photo Mechanic for Windows, using a Panasonic GF1: .RW2 files. This is the first time I've tried to use this feature.

I can load GPS information for individual photos manually, using the pointer in Google Maps; the .gpx file works on other mapping software as well as Google Earth. I just can't bring in the .gpx file (from a Garmin 60CSx) to 'populate' a series of .RW2s. The window says "importing log" and then freezes; then PM crashes.

I can email the .gpx file, which has time data within the trackpoint info. Date is European format i.e. DD-MM-YY.

I'm in NZ, & it's not a very interesting walk (arm's in a sling with a pin through the shoulder ...)

John (johnm.nz 'residing at' gmail.com)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:02:19 PM »
John,

I've got the same problem with 4.6.2.1 of Photo Mechanic for Windows, using a Panasonic GF1: .RW2 files. This is the first time I've tried to use this feature.

I can load GPS information for individual photos manually, using the pointer in Google Maps; the .gpx file works on other mapping software as well as Google Earth. I just can't bring in the .gpx file (from a Garmin 60CSx) to 'populate' a series of .RW2s. The window says "importing log" and then freezes; then PM crashes.

I can email the .gpx file, which has time data within the trackpoint info. Date is European format i.e. DD-MM-YY.

No need.  Just get the 4.6.2.2 version (beta) from the Announcements section of the forums.  It fixes the hang you experienced.

-Kirk

Offline Lemonicious

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
thanks - that worked

John