Author Topic: Lenstype label does not appear when saving as jpeg  (Read 20971 times)

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Lenstype label does not appear when saving as jpeg
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
Hayo:  Can you send me the IPTC Stationery pad that you used?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
Hi tj,

Why would you want my IPTC stationary? To get the lentype field I simply used it as part of the info text (or as a label underneath the images in a contact sheet). The stationary pad does not come into play here...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
Sorry, When I bring up IPTC Stationery Pad, I put the {model}, {lenstype} in the keywords.  Then I save the IPTC Stationery Pad.  I thought if you saved your IPTC Stationery Pad, I could try it out. 

I use this same pad with my 7D and the {lenstype} comes out corrrectly.... 

Maybe I am not using it right.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
Sorry, When I bring up IPTC Stationery Pad, I put the {model}, {lenstype} in the keywords.  Then I save the IPTC Stationery Pad.  I thought if you saved your IPTC Stationery Pad, I could try it out. 

I use this same pad with my 7D and the {lenstype} comes out corrrectly.... 

Maybe I am not using it right.

{lenstype} sure does work for me on the jpg you provided, and also worked when I tried setting the keywords with it in the iptc stationary.

If you can't see the the lenstype of the jpg-file, something weird if going on on your end. If, however, you can see the lens in the JPG, but not from the raw file, then it still may be that PM is unable to decode the lenstype from the 7DII. In that case Kirk will need a sample raw file (he'll tell you how to upload that) so he can investigate.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
TJ,

Yes, be sure we're comparing apples to apples.  Hayo and I both can use the {lenstype} on the JPEG image you provided (which isn't straight from the camera since it has a watermark on it).  Please provide sample images that are straight from the camera so we can test.  If you hit the size limit when posting, contact me privately and I'll give you our FTP server info so you can upload the sample(s) that way.

-Kirk

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
Anything I can do to get this resolved ?  I even tried {lens}

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
TJ,

With the image you provided, both Hayo and I can see the lens you used.  I asked you to send us a sample direct from your camera.  To my knowledge you haven't done that.  I'm not sure there is much more I can do without a sample image that reproduces the problem.

-Kirk

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
So do we have any idea about my issue ?

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
Sorry guys... i didn't see that this thread went to a 2nd page... my bad.... hang on .. I will send you the file

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
From the CF card, sorry guys !!!

I am doing a football game tonight, I can shoot a couple in RAW for you.  Lightroom can't see them yet, but I can provide it for you.

I can give you a RAW and JPEG picture if you like.

Let me know.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
Right, now we're getting somewhere! With your new image, PM indeed does not see the lenstype!
With this info I think it should be possible for Kirk et al to find out how to add support for the 7D II's lens data to an upcoming version of PM.

(Kirk: the lens model seems to be present in both the makernotes and the EXIF and it looks they are both simple string values).
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »
Guys:  I am really sorry about that.. not seeing the 2nd page on the thread.. my bad...  Heading out to the football game.  thanks again for all the support.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
First of all we didn't have the 7D Mk II whitelisted.  Unless we have a Canon model whitelisted then we don't delve into the maker note which is where the lens data exists (standard Exif will just say "70" for 70mm for example).  So I have whitelisted this model to proceed.

However, the sample photo is not from the camera, and it appears that the endian has changed from little to big (i.e. Intel byte order to Motorola byte order).  Normally Canon writes photos in little endian (where you see "II" at the beginning of a TIFF section).  The JPG photo you sent is formatted as big endian "MM", but the maker note is still formatted as "II", and so PM fails to parse this (for example instead of 41 tags it thinks there are 10496 tags (because the byte order is wrong).

So, I suspect if you try the new upcoming build with the 7D Mk II whitelisted, and you look at camera JPEGs and RAW CR2 files, then you should see your lens show up.  A sample prototype image from Photokina seems to work properly, but this was a prototype 7D Mk II.  Also, according to Exiftool, there is some little note about the 7D lenstype field ("this value is incorrect for EOS 7D images with lenses of type 256 or greater"), but Canon does seem to also put a nice human readable string as well and PM picks this up in the sample image I downloaded.

So please try on sample photos that haven't been "saved as".  Curious what application you used to do this Save As?  Was it PM?  I may need to look at how we are handling the endian on Save As.

--dennis

Offline tj@dowlingjr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 07:20:58 AM »
Dennis:  My work flow is the following:  Put CF card in computer, PM fires up and I go thru and Tag the photos I want to use, I then go to the drop down and selected 'Tagged', I then highlight them all, right mouse click and copy selected photos.  For copy options, see attached file.  Let me know if you need anything else or if I am not giving you what you need.

One think I just noticed is that Apply IPTC stationery to copied files was NOT checked.  I just tried it with being checked, and received the same results

Thank in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »
TJ,

You're copying files to a subfolder of the path of the current contact sheet, so where are the images stored?  Still on the CF card?  Or have they made it to your hard drive by this stage?

-Kirk