Author Topic: Updating embedded JPG preview for RAW metadata edits  (Read 2901 times)

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
Updating embedded JPG preview for RAW metadata edits
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
The fact that PM doesn't reflect metadata edits to RAW files has been discussed in this forum.  The problem is that Adobe Camera Raw, for example, does not update the embedded JPG preview in the RAW file when a metadata edit is made, and it's apparently difficult (though not impossible?) for PM to process the instructions in an .XMP sidecar file and generate an updated preview on its own.  Based on this, I have two questions:

(1)  Is it actually possible (whether or not it's difficult) for PM to generate it's own updated preview based on metadata edits?  For my money, this is the #1 drawback of PM.  I would expect a file browser to show me the current state of any file it's capable of browsing.  Given that PM's stated goal is focus on the relatively narrow functionality of file browsing, I would think this is a much more important missing feature than cataloging or other DAM functionality.

(2)  Is anyone aware of a RAW editor that does update the embedded JPG preview based on metadata edits?  ACR clearly doesn't, but there are quite a few RAW editors out there, and if one of them had this feature, I would switch to using it just so I could keep using PM.

Cheers,
Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updating embedded JPG preview for RAW metadata edits
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
Joe,

The fact that PM doesn't reflect metadata edits to RAW files has been discussed in this forum.  The problem is that Adobe Camera Raw, for example, does not update the embedded JPG preview in the RAW file when a metadata edit is made, and it's apparently difficult (though not impossible?) for PM to process the instructions in an .XMP sidecar file and generate an updated preview on its own.  Based on this, I have two questions:

(1)  Is it actually possible (whether or not it's difficult) for PM to generate it's own updated preview based on metadata edits?  For my money, this is the #1 drawback of PM.  I would expect a file browser to show me the current state of any file it's capable of browsing.  Given that PM's stated goal is focus on the relatively narrow functionality of file browsing, I would think this is a much more important missing feature than cataloging or other DAM functionality.

While it is theoretically possible that we could write our own RAW renderer that that would produce the exact same results as ACR, it is exceedingly unlikely.  Adobe does not share their rendering algorithms, data tables, etc. with third parties like us.  Even if we did get PM to render closely to the results that ACR gets, it would always be a moving target since Adobe continues to modify ACR and its output.  PM does show the current state of the embedded JPEG produced by the camera.  It is too bad that Adobe won't update the preview in the RAW file.  That said, you could instead use Adobe's DNG file format and PM will show the updated embedded preview because Adobe's applications will update the preview in DNG files.

Quote from: SzurszewskiJ
(2)  Is anyone aware of a RAW editor that does update the embedded JPG preview based on metadata edits?  ACR clearly doesn't, but there are quite a few RAW editors out there, and if one of them had this feature, I would switch to using it just so I could keep using PM.

It would be helpful to know what camera model you're using.  If you shoot Nikon, then Capture NX2 would be a fine choice since it updates the embedded previews with your adjustments.

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
Kirk,

While it is theoretically possible that we could write our own RAW renderer that that would produce the exact same results as ACR, it is exceedingly unlikely.  Adobe does not share their rendering algorithms, data tables, etc. with third parties like us.  Even if we did get PM to render closely to the results that ACR gets, it would always be a moving target since Adobe continues to modify ACR and its output.  PM does show the current state of the embedded JPEG produced by the camera.  It is too bad that Adobe won't update the preview in the RAW file.  That said, you could instead use Adobe's DNG file format and PM will show the updated embedded preview because Adobe's applications will update the preview in DNG files.

Makes sense.  The DNG idea is intriguing . . .

It would be helpful to know what camera model you're using.  If you shoot Nikon, then Capture NX2 would be a fine choice since it updates the embedded previews with your adjustments.

As it happens, I do shoot Nikon.  I'll definitely check out Capture NX2.

Thanks for the great info!
Joe

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:37:22 PM »
As it happens, I do shoot Nikon.  I'll definitely check out Capture NX2.

As you probably know, you can download a free trial of Capture NX2 at the Nikon download site.

Note: I'm an avid user of Capture NX2 and really like the fact that they keep your edits all in one file and update the embedded jpg. Makes your life, together with PM, some much easier :)

Give me a shout if you need some help with it  :)

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl