Author Topic: Can you sync zoom in two-up view?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline dsmccormick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can you sync zoom in two-up view?
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
I was wondering if you are Preview and go into a two-up mode, is there any keyboard shortcut that would allow you to sync the side-by-side images? I know you can use L to lock two images and pan synchronously. But if you have two images up, it would be really useful if you could just click on one and have the two images and they were synced on the same location and zoom level.

If this isn't an existing feature, please put this on the request list.

Thanks for a great product,
David McCormick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can you sync zoom in two-up view?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
David,

I was wondering if you are Preview and go into a two-up mode, is there any keyboard shortcut that would allow you to sync the side-by-side images? I know you can use L to lock two images and pan synchronously. But if you have two images up, it would be really useful if you could just click on one and have the two images and they were synced on the same location and zoom level.

If this isn't an existing feature, please put this on the request list.

I'm not sure what you're saying you want?  The feature works pretty much as you have described already.

-Kirk

Offline dsmccormick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:03:38 AM »
Kirk: sorry I'm not being clear. I'll try again.

If I go into a two-up mode (horizontal or vertical), is there a way--through some keyboard-and-mouse-click combination--to make both images have the same zoom level and have the same pixel location (where I click the mouse)?

Thanks, David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:07:05 AM »
David,

If I go into a two-up mode (horizontal or vertical), is there a way--through some keyboard-and-mouse-click combination--to make both images have the same zoom level and have the same pixel location (where I click the mouse)?

I think I understand now.  You're viewing two images.  Neither pane is zoomed at the moment.  You want to choose a location to zoom and when clicking on one image, you want both images to zoom into the same location, and from that point on you want them to pan/scroll together.  Is that right?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:40:27 AM »

David, you zoom using the Z-key, if necessary, then line-up both images by moving one of them around, then press the L-key to lock them. Now if you move one, the other image moves synchronously. I use this often to compare the details of similar images.

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dsmccormick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:16 AM »

David, you zoom using the Z-key, if necessary, then line-up both images by moving one of them around, then press the L-key to lock them. Now if you move one, the other image moves synchronously. I use this often to compare the details of similar images.

Hope this helps,
    Hayo

Hayo: I know this method and use it as well. I was thinking of something slightly different, something that didn't involve me having to manually pan the other image to get it lined up. I was thinking that if I click on a particular pixel location in one image (say, on a face), that other image would be (a) instantly panned to that same image location and (b) it would be in the same relative location within the pane in which it is being displayed.

Thanks, David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:24 AM »
David,

Hayo: I know this method and use it as well. I was thinking of something slightly different, something that didn't involve me having to manually pan the other image to get it lined up. I was thinking that if I click on a particular pixel location in one image (say, on a face), that other image would be (a) instantly panned to that same image location and (b) it would be in the same relative location within the pane in which it is being displayed.

I think then that my summary two posts above this one is then correct.  Basically if 'Lock Scrolling' is on and you Command-click (Ctrl-click on Windows) on an area of one photo, the other photo will zoom into that same area if possible (if the image orientation or size varies too much then this may not be possible.)

-Kirk

Offline dsmccormick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
Kirk: Thanks for repeating so that it would sink in ;). I will test that tonight, but it sounds like the functionality is there (which is great). David