Author Topic: Removing Date Created from metadata  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Rob Scott

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Removing Date Created from metadata
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »
Hi

I want to remove all metadata from my images, including Date Created, for posting on the web. I am using version 4.6.2.1 and running OSX10.6.2 on an Intel Mac. I know I can use Delete Metadata in the Tools menu, and I can also do this with Save Photos As, but both options retain the Date Created.

How can I remove this please?

Thanks

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Removing Date Created from metadata
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »
Rob,

I want to remove all metadata from my images, including Date Created, for posting on the web. I am using version 4.6.2.1 and running OSX10.6.2 on an Intel Mac. I know I can use Delete Metadata in the Tools menu, and I can also do this with Save Photos As, but both options retain the Date Created.

How can I remove this please?

Are you perhaps referring to the file creation date?  If so, that's part of the file system information that cannot be removed as it is not specific to photos.  If you're referring to EXIF Date Created or IPTC Date, those can be removed with the Delete Metadata Tool.

-Kirk

Offline Rob Scott

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:54:37 PM »
I probably am Kirk. In File Info in Photoshop it comes under IPTC Image: Date Created. When I extract the jpg from many websites and go to File Info in Photoshop there is no date in the Date Created field. I do not want this information to be visible to people who visit my website. It also seems to retain the Date Created and other information in the RAW Data field of File Info in Photoshop, even though it is a jpg that I am looking at. Is it possible to remove this in information in Photo Mechanic? I don't seem top be able to do it.

Thanks

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
Rob,

I probably am Kirk. In File Info in Photoshop it comes under IPTC Image: Date Created. When I extract the jpg from many websites and go to File Info in Photoshop there is no date in the Date Created field. I do not want this information to be visible to people who visit my website. It also seems to retain the Date Created and other information in the RAW Data field of File Info in Photoshop, even though it is a jpg that I am looking at. Is it possible to remove this in information in Photo Mechanic? I don't seem top be able to do it.

Are you deleting the IPTC data, XMP data and the EXIF data as well, or just the EXIF data?
As for the 'RAW Data' field, I don't know where Photoshop gets that information from.  I don't think it has anything to do with RAW file formats however.

-Kirk

Offline Rob Scott

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:23 AM »
Yes, I'm deleting all except the ICC profile in the Delete Metadata menu.
It's strange because in the Adjust Capture Dates and Times in the Tools menu the date can be changed, but I don't think I can delete it.

Rob