Author Topic: Coordinating LR and PM  (Read 4782 times)

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Coordinating LR and PM
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:37:32 AM »
Thankfully Toms advice on PM settings for XMP/IPTC solved my first problem with titles/caption syncing, but have a new hitch.  I use LR 2.4 for most of my image manipulation, but have started using PM for the abilty to append and alter titles/captions etc. I have a mix of NEF and JPG files.  If I edit the caption field in PM and read the metadata back in LR the NEFs are fine, but it is resetting the image adjustments in the develop module of LR for JPG? 

I know that LR doesn't actaully adjust the original image but holds the image adjustments to both JPG & NEF in the catalogue.  Does anyone know why reading the metadata of JPGs is affecting the developement setting?

I have set my PM preferences as Tom suggested as per attachment which works great for syncronising titles/captions. is there something in this that needs ot be changed to stop PM altering the develop settings in LR?

Thanks for any advice as really like PM, but not if it undoes my work in LR!

Thanks Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Coordinating LR and PM
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:30:39 AM »
Mike,

Thankfully Toms advice on PM settings for XMP/IPTC solved my first problem with titles/caption syncing, but have a new hitch.  I use LR 2.4 for most of my image manipulation, but have started using PM for the abilty to append and alter titles/captions etc. I have a mix of NEF and JPG files.  If I edit the caption field in PM and read the metadata back in LR the NEFs are fine, but it is resetting the image adjustments in the develop module of LR for JPG? 

I know that LR doesn't actaully adjust the original image but holds the image adjustments to both JPG & NEF in the catalogue.  Does anyone know why reading the metadata of JPGs is affecting the developement setting?

I have set my PM preferences as Tom suggested as per attachment which works great for syncronising titles/captions. is there something in this that needs ot be changed to stop PM altering the develop settings in LR?

Thanks for any advice as really like PM, but not if it undoes my work in LR!

You just need a newer version of Photo Mechanic that doesn't delete that data when it updates XMP in JPEGs.  The 4.6.2.2 beta shouldn't do that any more.  You can get the 4.6.2.2 beta version in the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:16:48 AM »
No still resetting the develope setting I'm afraid.

I dont think there is any data to delete.  LR holds the develop settings in its catalogue so these are available to PM for JPGs I think. I assume the develop settings for NEF files is in the XMP sidecar as PM seems to be showing at least the cropping lines.

If i save the emtadata in LR, go to a JPG in PM put something in caption, click ok. Back in LR I read metadata from file, caption appears in LR and develop setting go back to "reset Settings"

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »
Mike,

No still resetting the develope setting I'm afraid.

I dont think there is any data to delete.  LR holds the develop settings in its catalogue so these are available to PM for JPGs I think. I assume the develop settings for NEF files is in the XMP sidecar as PM seems to be showing at least the cropping lines.

If i save the emtadata in LR, go to a JPG in PM put something in caption, click ok. Back in LR I read metadata from file, caption appears in LR and develop setting go back to "reset Settings"

Could you send me a JPEG straight out of LR, and then another after you have modified it in PM?  Then I can compare and see what data may be missing.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk