Author Topic: PM 4.5.4 merging settings between mac computers  (Read 3428 times)

Offline ptakeuchi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.5.4 merging settings between mac computers
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
I'm running PM 4.5.4 on a desktop and a laptop under SL 10.6.2 and would like to unify all the saved snapshot settings used between the two computers, as well as the keyword lists. After searching these forums and investigating my preferences folder, it seems that these snapshops are saved in the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder. Can I just merge the snapshots (.snap) files found in the various settings folders to assure that I will have access to the same snapshots on each computer? Also, what role does the plist file outside of the folder play--com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist? I.E., do I have to sync that as well?

I assume that the whole process of synching settings between two computers is much easier on PM 4.6, but before I upgrade, I'd like my snapshot settings and keyword lists to be the same on each computer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.5.4 merging settings between mac computers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:04:02 PM »
I'm running PM 4.5.4 on a desktop and a laptop under SL 10.6.2 and would like to unify all the saved snapshot settings used between the two computers, as well as the keyword lists. After searching these forums and investigating my preferences folder, it seems that these snapshops are saved in the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder. Can I just merge the snapshots (.snap) files found in the various settings folders to assure that I will have access to the same snapshots on each computer? Also, what role does the plist file outside of the folder play--com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist? I.E., do I have to sync that as well?

I assume that the whole process of synching settings between two computers is much easier on PM 4.6, but before I upgrade, I'd like my snapshot settings and keyword lists to be the same on each computer.

You can indeed copy the snapshots from one system to another.  The .plist file contains the rest of the preferences data, some of which may not translate well to your other system.  The Import/Export Preferences feature in 4.6 takes care of all of that for you, including allowing you to migrate your snapshots.

-Kirk

Offline ptakeuchi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM 4.5.4 merging settings between mac computers
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the reply. Indeed, it was very easy to copy the snapshot files and make sure I had identical copies on each machine.