Author Topic: Lightroom and PhotoMechanic - best practise?  (Read 19544 times)

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
Lightroom and PhotoMechanic - best practise?
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:55 AM »
hello everybody,

its anoying for me.
Color Class updates between LR and PM seems to be working now in both directions, but in PM tagged photos arent shown as flagged in LR and vice versa.

Would be nice if anybody can post the working setup!!
thanks in advance

greets
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom and PhotoMechanic - best practise?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
Color Class updates between LR and PM seems to be working now in both directions, but in PM tagged photos arent shown as flagged in LR and vice versa.

Lightroom's 'Flag' is not represented in the metadata.  It is only stored within Lightroom (probably the database).  Photo Mechanic's Tag and Lightroom's Flag do not transfer.

Sorry.  I wish Adobe would put the flag value in XMP, but I have never seen it there.  If they did, then PM could be modified to work with it.

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
ok.

And expect the flags - how should PM`s configuration look?

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
now I have this:

problem is: if I remove a star-rating in PM (the change is saved of course), in PM this change is not visible - the stars are like before.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:04 AM »
now I have this:

problem is: if I remove a star-rating in PM (the change is saved of course), in PM this change is not visible - the stars are like before.

Make sure in the Files tab you have the popup labeled "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" set to "For all photos"

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
this is disabled / grey:

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:04:11 AM »
this is disabled / grey:

OK.  Could you please send me a file that exhibits this issue?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
Not connected to the issue above but I wouldn't wan to open a new LR+PM topic.

If I understand correctly LR stores its changes all (or at least most ofthem) in the XMP sidecar files. Once I edit IPTC in PM LR notices changes have been made to the original and asks whether to import them or not. If I don't let it update then the IPTC data edited in PM doesn't enter LR. If I allow LR to update then my new IPTC is updated in LR but I loose previous edit settings (like adjustments). Is it possible that PM overwrites the LR edits part of the XMP this way resetting all the changes I made in LR to the images?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
Szurkebarat,

If I understand correctly LR stores its changes all (or at least most ofthem) in the XMP sidecar files. Once I edit IPTC in PM LR notices changes have been made to the original and asks whether to import them or not. If I don't let it update then the IPTC data edited in PM doesn't enter LR. If I allow LR to update then my new IPTC is updated in LR but I loose previous edit settings (like adjustments). Is it possible that PM overwrites the LR edits part of the XMP this way resetting all the changes I made in LR to the images?

Is this with version 4.6.3?  RAW or JPEG?

-Kirk

Offline TomBrooklyn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PhotoMechanic Tags Not Equal to Lightroom Flags?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Color Class updates between LR and PM seems to be working now in both directions, but in PM tagged photos aren't shown as flagged in LR and vice versa.

I understand your question to be, how can one make tagged photos in Photo Mechanic be recognized as flagged photos in Lightroom?

I have edited the title of the post to accurately and specifically indicate that for the benefit of future searchers like myself who may be looking for this information; or who may be looking for other information and aren't interested in this topic.

Offline TomBrooklyn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
Since this question is not related to the topic of this thread, please start a new thread with a title that clearly and specifically describes your question.     

That will make it possible for other people searching for help in various PM-LR topics able to find what they are looking for, as well as not have to waste time researching topics they are not interested in.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoMechanic Tags Not Equal to Lightroom Flags?
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »
Color Class updates between LR and PM seems to be working now in both directions, but in PM tagged photos aren't shown as flagged in LR and vice versa.

I understand your question to be, how can one make tagged photos in Photo Mechanic be recognized as flagged photos in Lightroom?

It turns out that the 'flag' setting in Lightroom is never represented in the XMP metadata.  It is a setting that is internal to Lightroom.  If it were available as a field in the XMP metadata then PM could read/update it.  Alas...

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »

Make sure in the Files tab you have the popup labeled "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" set to "For all photos"

-Kirk

Am I correct in assuming that this is the default setting....

If it was not checked can I retroactively update the xmps or do I have to reclassify them?

TX

Marc
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:13:50 AM by Kirk Baker »
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
Marc,

Am I correct in assuming that this is the default setting....

If it was not checked can I retroactively update the xmps or do I have to reclassify them?

The default value for that preference has changed over time.

If you wanted to update the IPTC/XMP for existing photos, all you would have to do is apply an IPTC Stationery Pad that cleared some unused field.  When the IPTC/XMP is updated, the tag, rating, and color class would then be added to the IPTC/XMP data during the update.

-Kirk