Author Topic: Ignore file name and only rename sequence number?  (Read 3545 times)

Offline BillG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ignore file name and only rename sequence number?
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
I am a sports and event photographer and typically have more than one photographer shooting the same event.  I always add the photographers name to their image by using their first initial as the first character of the file name.  I end up with a folder that has two (or more) styles of file names with the sequence number - sometimes I start at 1 for all names, other times I let the sequence number continue.  I would like to sort the entire folder by capture time so the images are in the sequence of the performance or event, change the sequence so that the first image in capture time is image #1, and the last image in time is the last sequence number, and that the basic file name remains unchanged, only the sequence number would change?

Is there any way to accomplish this in PM?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ignore file name and only rename sequence number?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
Bill,

I am a sports and event photographer and typically have more than one photographer shooting the same event.  I always add the photographers name to their image by using their first initial as the first character of the file name.  I end up with a folder that has two (or more) styles of file names with the sequence number - sometimes I start at 1 for all names, other times I let the sequence number continue.  I would like to sort the entire folder by capture time so the images are in the sequence of the performance or event, change the sequence so that the first image in capture time is image #1, and the last image in time is the last sequence number, and that the basic file name remains unchanged, only the sequence number would change?

Is there any way to accomplish this in PM?

If I understand you correctly, the following should work:

{filenamebase}{seq}

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline BillG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for the response.  I don't think that I explained the issue sufficiently.  For example, I have a set of 100 images of a basketball game named B SBHS Vikings 1-12-10 - 001 through 100.  I have another set of images that are called J SBHS Vikings 1-12-10 - 001 through 100. I would like to keep the text part of the image unchanged, bur sort all of the game images by capture time so that the sequence will be in the game sequence.  Maybe I don't understand how to apply your suggestion.  Help here would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help.

Bill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »
Bill,

I don't think that I explained the issue sufficiently.  For example, I have a set of 100 images of a basketball game named B SBHS Vikings 1-12-10 - 001 through 100.  I have another set of images that are called J SBHS Vikings 1-12-10 - 001 through 100. I would like to keep the text part of the image unchanged, bur sort all of the game images by capture time so that the sequence will be in the game sequence.  Maybe I don't understand how to apply your suggestion.  Help here would be appreciated.

Try this:

{filenamebase:0,-3}{seqn}

The above takes the current filename, and lops off the last three characters and then adds on the sequence number.

HTH,

-Kirk