Author Topic: Erasing all IPTC & XMP details  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Erasing all IPTC & XMP details
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »
I'm wondering how to delete all previous IPTC/XMP fields on jpegs to ensure my latest caption and fields are the latest and the only version readable. I'm really confused with the different IPTC/XMP preferences and don't know which to enable. Cheers, Paul.

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Erasing all IPTC & XMP details
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »
Forgot to add I'm on a Mac with version 4.6.2.1.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:49:19 AM »
Perhaps I do not fully understand your question, but each file only has one version of IPTC and/or XMP data anyway, so this is always the latest.

If you're referring to the the fact you may have entered (e.g. using a different application) IPTC or XMP data seperately and are concerned one of the two sets is outdated, this is dealt with automatically by PhotoMechanic; as soon as you make a change to the data, PM makes sure both IPTC and XMP are synchronised.

Whether or not IPTC takes precedence over XMP (or even a sidecar file) is specified in the preferences (have a look at the IPTC/XMP pane).

Does this answer your question?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:06:45 AM »
Kind of..
After altering IPTC details from a previous inaccurate caption people on a picture desk were able to see the original details entered. I don't know whether they use an IPTC or XMP reader (I suspect the latter) but just wanted the lot cleared.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:43 AM »
Paul,

Kind of..
After altering IPTC details from a previous inaccurate caption people on a picture desk were able to see the original details entered. I don't know whether they use an IPTC or XMP reader (I suspect the latter) but just wanted the lot cleared.

They're probably seeing the EXIF Description field which PM does not edit.  You can get PM to strip the EXIF data with the Delete Metadata tool, but perhaps that's a bit extreme.  ExifTool should be able to change the EXIF Description field if you want to try that.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll try that then.

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
Hmm not very user friendly is it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:24 PM »
Hmm not very user friendly is it?

Umm, what are you referring to now?

-Kirk

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 02:18:05 AM »
You said try Exiftool. Not very user friendly is it? I'll be giving that a miss but thanks for the help.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »
You said try Exiftool. Not very user friendly is it? I'll be giving that a miss but thanks for the help.

As you are on a Mac, you could make an applescript to tell exiftool what to do with dragged files, and you could drag the files to the script's icon as it was just another application. Or if you don't know the syntax I can look it up, I was planning on something similar.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 06:35:37 AM »
Paul,

Another option would be to use the Delete Metadata tool and have it delete the EXIF data.  This would cause the EXIF Description to be removed, along with all other shooting data (shutter speed, aperture, etc.)  I don't know if you need the shooting information to be available to your clients or not, but it would take care of your initial issue.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Burrows UK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 06:02:25 AM »
Yes thanks Kirk, that's what I've decided to use. I don't need the exif data saved.
Thanks for some great input.

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
This IPTC / XMP thing is baking my noodle!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »
Hello,

I do not have a problem with PM (I don't think) as it's probably behaving correctly. I just wanted to put this out to see if anyone had any advice or views on the situation.

Just had a problem where I sent some JPEGs to a friend (captioned with PM), he then re-captioned using Fotostation before sending them out to some newspapers. He's just had a hassle where one of the papers could only see my original information.

On subsequent investigation it appears that two sets of information existed in the files.

Viewing 'File Info...' in Photoshop CS3 showed my original information, but viewing 'File Info..' in CS4 showed his updated details.
PM could only see my original info when 'Read Embedded XMP before IPTC' was selected in preferences, and his updated info when 'Read Embedded IPTC before XMP' was selected. Confused? We were.

Is this simply a case where his older Fotostation is writing caption information incorrectly (or to older standards)?
Is XMP replacing IPTC as a standard?
Can someone explain, simply, this IPTC v XMP situation?

In future I won't add any IPTC/XMP data when sending files to him, unless he updates his software!

Many thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Tony

NB: as a side note, while searching this excellent forum for information I came across this...

BTW, we are going to have a cataloging module for Photo Mechanic at some point.

3 years later...    :) ;) :D

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: This IPTC / XMP thing is baking my noodle!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
Tony,

I do not have a problem with PM (I don't think) as it's probably behaving correctly. I just wanted to put this out to see if anyone had any advice or views on the situation.

Just had a problem where I sent some JPEGs to a friend (captioned with PM), he then re-captioned using Fotostation before sending them out to some newspapers. He's just had a hassle where one of the papers could only see my original information.

On subsequent investigation it appears that two sets of information existed in the files.

Viewing 'File Info...' in Photoshop CS3 showed my original information, but viewing 'File Info..' in CS4 showed his updated details.
PM could only see my original info when 'Read Embedded XMP before IPTC' was selected in preferences, and his updated info when 'Read Embedded IPTC before XMP' was selected. Confused? We were.

Is this simply a case where his older Fotostation is writing caption information incorrectly (or to older standards)?
Is XMP replacing IPTC as a standard?
Can someone explain, simply, this IPTC v XMP situation?

In future I won't add any IPTC/XMP data when sending files to him, unless he updates his software!

Fotostation puts the IPTC data in a non-standard place.  It also may not be updating any XMP data that is present from your original captioning.  To truly know what is going on I would need a sample file from you to investigate.

XMP will likely replace IPTC at some point, but it may be a few years.

-Kirk