Author Topic: Win 7 Sync did not work - Photo Mechanic color classes lost  (Read 8523 times)

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Win 7 Sync did not work - Photo Mechanic color classes lost
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »
Win 7 and PM 4.6.2.1

I started using the Sync feature in Windows 7. On my PC I created couple folders for syncing everything in them with my laptop, including one for client images to take to meetings. I use the option to make everything available off-line. The doco appears to indicate that it will be a two sync to the latest changes.

Last night I took my laptop to the studio and met to review an engagement session to select images with the client. I used Photo Mechanic - changed the color classes for the choices. Came back home and showed my wife the selection and then connected to my network to happily sync the changes. Poof they went into cyber space.... The sync mirrored back what I had on the PC and all the color class changes on the laptop reverted back to what they were earlier prior to the meeting.

What did or didn't Win 7 Sync see for it work as expected? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Win 7 Sync did not work - Photo Mechanic color classes lost
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
Win 7 and PM 4.6.2.1

I started using the Sync feature in Windows 7. On my PC I created couple folders for syncing everything in them with my laptop, including one for client images to take to meetings. I use the option to make everything available off-line. The doco appears to indicate that it will be a two sync to the latest changes.

Last night I took my laptop to the studio and met to review an engagement session to select images with the client. I used Photo Mechanic - changed the color classes for the choices. Came back home and showed my wife the selection and then connected to my network to happily sync the changes. Poof they went into cyber space.... The sync mirrored back what I had on the PC and all the color class changes on the laptop reverted back to what they were earlier prior to the meeting.

What did or didn't Win 7 Sync see for it work as expected? 

I don't know.  Photo Mechanic stores the color class either directly in the images themselves or in XMP sidecar files.  There is nothing special about the data.  Copying the files from one system to another should copy the color class information.  Perhaps you synced in the wrong direction?

-Kirk

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
Kirk, actually I think it is not a Windows sync issue.  I did some more testing.  Created a test folder with an image on the desktop.  Accessed this image from the laptop and changed the color class from yellow to red.  Next, I closed the contact sheet and reopened it.  The color was back to yellow.  Repeated the same behavior whether I was on-line or off-line with the laptop.  After this I went to the desktop and changed the color class to red.  It did stick and it is showing red now on both the desktop and laptop.  Is it a PM issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
Kirk, actually I think it is not a Windows sync issue.  I did some more testing.  Created a test folder with an image on the desktop.  Accessed this image from the laptop and changed the color class from yellow to red.  Next, I closed the contact sheet and reopened it.  The color was back to yellow.  Repeated the same behavior whether I was on-line or off-line with the laptop.  After this I went to the desktop and changed the color class to red.  It did stick and it is showing red now on both the desktop and laptop.  Is it a PM issue?

It sounds like your two systems don't share the same preferences.  Compare the Files and IPTC/XMP tabs on both machines.

-Kirk

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
I checked the Files and IPTC/XMP tabs on both machines.  They look the same.  Anything that I should focus on specifically?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
I checked the Files and IPTC/XMP tabs on both machines.  They look the same.  Anything that I should focus on specifically?

Check the General tab and the Files tab as well.

-Kirk

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
I don't see any differences there either.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
I don't see any differences there either.

OK, what file types are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »
The simple test I setup is with a jpeg.  But I start with NEFs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
The simple test I setup is with a jpeg.  But I start with NEFs.

OK, so if you set the color class of JPEG on one system and copy it to the other system then you don't see the color class you had set?

-Kirk