Author Topic: Cannot edit file with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne  (Read 10573 times)

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
Cannot edit file with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:47:54 AM »
Hi,

When I try to edit a file with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne, these apps not open the file. If I send the file to PhotoshopElements, it works as it is meant to be.
What is the reason for this behaviour?
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cannot edit file with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:02:55 AM »
When I try to edit a file with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne, these apps not open the file. If I send the file to PhotoshopElements, it works as it is meant to be.
What is the reason for this behaviour?

It would be useful to know more information as I can't answer your question with the limited information that you have provided so far.

What file format are you trying to edit?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Normally the files are RAW files from Canon (cr2) on the newest Version of Photo Mechanicbut is the dame with every other file (jpeg, TIFF). It worked with BibblePro Version 4 but not with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
Normally the files are RAW files from Canon (cr2) on the newest Version of Photo Mechanic but is the same with every other file (jpeg, TIFF). It worked with BibblePro Version 4 but not with BibblePro5 or CaptureOne.

Are you getting any sort of error message from those applications?

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »
Hi,

No there are no error messages. They open, but they don't "activate" the file or it's folder.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
Hi,

No there are no error messages. They open, but they don't "activate" the file or it's folder.

OK, well perhaps you should ask the support folks of those applications for some advice?  I don't know what to do about JPEGs and TIFFs since they're usually modified with metadata, but for CR2 RAW files you can instruct PM to not allow modification (forces the use of XMP sidecar files) and then they should open fine.

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:10 AM »
Hi Kirk

thanks for your answer. I attached a screenshot of my settings for XMP, what should I change?
Why do you think it depends on changing RAW file data?
I already submitted a information to the Bibble forum.

[attachment deleted by admin]
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:00:42 AM »
thanks for your answer. I attached a screenshot of my settings for XMP, what should I change?
Why do you think it depends on changing RAW file data?
I already submitted a information to the Bibble forum.

Since there is no feedback whatsoever about what those two applications don't like about the changes PM has made to the files, I can only surmise that if PM was instructed not to modify RAW files that neither program would continue to have these issues.

You need to turn off embedding IPTC and embedding IPTC4XMP for TIFF-based RAW files.  Also on the Files tab turn off the checkbox labeled "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preferences updates".  These changes will instruct PM to make any non-EXIF changes only to the XMP sidecar file.  PM will still modify the RAW file if you use Adjust Capture Dates and Times or add GPS coordinates to your RAW files.

You can use the 'Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on the Tools menu to undo the changes to your RAW files that PM has made.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 07:57:22 AM »
Hmm, perhaps there simply is a problem with the starting of those applications from within PhotoMechanic. If I understand correctly platti recently updated to a newer version of his editing software. Perhaps it is just a matter of incorrect file associations (e.g., still pointing to the old version)?

Have you already tried opening the files directly from a Finder/Explorer window? Does the file open then? And what happens if you try to open the files directly from e.g. CaptureOne or BibblePro5?

Let us know what works for you,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline plambrou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Bibble Pro 5.0 was released on December 28, 2009 and as it is stated in the release notes the ability to open a file from another program has not yet been activated. I have used both Bibble Pro and Photo Mechanic for many years and modifying RAW files by PM was never a problem in the past and it still is not now with Bibble Pro 5.0.

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 01:59:59 AM »
Hi,

thanks for this information, I obviously missed this information.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
Hi Hayo,
Hmm, perhaps there simply is a problem with the starting of those applications from within PhotoMechanic. If I understand correctly platti recently updated to a newer version of his editing software. Perhaps it is just a matter of incorrect file associations (e.g., still pointing to the old version)?

Have you already tried opening the files directly from a Finder/Explorer window? Does the file open then? And what happens if you try to open the files directly from e.g. CaptureOne or BibblePro5?

Let us know what works for you,
    Hayo

I am on a Mac.
Well, about C1 it is obviously the workflow in the Software, that makes it impossible to open one specific file from finder or another application. Within C1 there you have to open a folder (or session) and then select the files to work with.
And with BibblePro5 it seems to be the same as I cannot open a file in BibblePro directly from finder.
Can anyone here confirm this for C1 or BibblePro5 on Windows?
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio