Author Topic: Set Color Label or Star Rating on Ingest  (Read 6516 times)

sidewinder

Set Color Label or Star Rating on Ingest
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
I would like the option to set a default color label and star rating on ingest.

Wouldn't it make sense for there to be such an option? What happens if your workflow has it so that a photo is done being worked with when it has no color label? Otherwise it is still in process and needs more work.

A color label is obvious as is no color label. But no color label is more unique than trying to distinguished a color label. In other words, seeing no color at a glance is simpler than trying to remember or figure out what a particular color means.

Scott
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:56:04 AM by sidewinder »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Set Color Label or Star Rating on Ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
On my part I don't really see a point for your suggestion but your workflow may differ such a level that you are right.

On the other hand you can redefine color classes in the Preferences so you can set any color to "no color" it is totally up to you.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
On the other hand you can redefine color classes in the Preferences so you can set any color to "no color" it is totally up to you.

Not quite.  You can change the labels, but you can't get the functionality that Scott is looking for.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
On my part I don't really see a point for your suggestion but your workflow may differ such a level that you are right.
Why do you find it so hard to see how it would be beneficial to be able to set a default star rating and color label on ingest? My workflow has any color label indicating there is still work to be done on a photograph. A color label is indicative of a particular stage in the process. No color label indicates that the work is all done.

I use star ratings to tell me how much I like the photograph and if I need to delete it. I need to rate the photos before I do anything with them. A no star photograph is one to be deleted. A photograph that has not been rated has a particular color label associated with it. So, I would like to ingest all photographs with a one star rating and a particular color label.

As Kirk pointed out, I can't change the default color of no color.

My workflow may be different than yours, but having the option to set star rating and color label on ingest is not at all unreasonable.

Scott

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
Why do you find it so hard to see how it would be beneficial to be able to set a default star rating and color label on ingest?

I did not tell I cant understand your wish. I said I don't see a point for it (in my workflow it is meant of course).

As Kirk pointed out, I can't change the default color of no color.

My mistake. "No color" really cannot be changed to any other color.

My workflow may be different than yours, but having the option to set star rating and color label on ingest is not at all unreasonable.

I did not say it is unreasonable. As both of us pointed out our workflows are very different.

More to that I allready had a feature request http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4822.msg22546#msg22546 for the IPTC Stationery to be added star rating and color class change options in the same step as the IPTC data is modified. If this could get implemented it easily could go together having this very same Stationery solve your problem upon ingest.
Allways shooting RAW.

sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »
I am not sure whether the right place for this is the "ingest" dialog or in the IPTC stationary. It really is more Photo Mechanic process related than it would be IPTC data. So my vote would be in the ingest dialog instead.

Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:01 PM »
Scott,

I am not sure whether the right place for this is the "ingest" dialog or in the IPTC stationary. It really is more Photo Mechanic process related than it would be IPTC data. So my vote would be in the ingest dialog instead.

But if we put it in the IPTC Stationery Pad, it would solve the Ingest request in this thread and the request in the thread that Szurkebarat referenced as well.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
Scott,

But if we put it in the IPTC Stationery Pad, it would solve the Ingest request in this thread and the request in the thread that Szurkebarat referenced as well.

-Kirk

Kirk,

As long as the feature gets added, I don't really care where you put it.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:00:14 PM by sidewinder »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »

Sorry to argue on this but it fits the Stationery very much as Star Ratings and Color Classes are a form of IPTC data they just get displayed in a different form. Try to imagine this request of mine like you see it in the IPTC Info screen where you see the color bar and the ratings (and tags also) around the thumbnail of the image.
Of course the IPTC Stationery has effect on all selected images so there is no thubnail possible, but the Star Rating, Color Class and Tag status still could be changed the same way as Headline for example. And in many cases they do have a point to be changed together in one step instead of multiple separate steps.

And once you have it in the IPTC Stationery for use at any time then it is in one step there for you in the ingest as it uses the IPTC Stationery.

I really hope both of our feature requests get implemented either in one step or in a different way.
Allways shooting RAW.

sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
Like I said, I don't really care where they put it....

Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
I'm locking this thread.  There is really nothing more to add.  You're both on the same side here.

-Kirk