Author Topic: Can you stop "centering" of small index images in "panes view"?  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Whistlingmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can you stop "centering" of small index images in "panes view"?
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:13:34 AM »
Hi Kirk, I never followed up on your reply to my original request.  I had asked "Can you stop the "centering" of the selected image when looking at enlarged photos in the "panes view" the way Mechanic use to be?  I find it much more difficult to keep track of where I am and in comparing images.  Perhaps there is a way to do this now, but I haven't found it.  I'm not sure if I am even using the correct terms to ask for what I like, but hope you understand me anyway" 

I see this was written poorly because you responded explaining the shortcut to "zoom" which I wasn't referring to.  (you wrote "If you Command-click (Ctrl-click on Windows) on an area that you want to view zoomed up, the area you clicked on will be centered.  Command-click again to go back out of zoomed mode.  It's really effective this way.  Please give it a try." 

What I was referring to was in the view with the enlarged image (after you double-click on a photo) but not about the enlarged image, I was asking about the little index thumbnails at the bottom of the screen and the manner they are viewed.  I'm not sure what this view is called, but you have the option of hitting the "F" key to toggle screens between full screen image, or the second view with small index thumbnails at the bottom and an info palette on the right.  This is the view I prefer using for my editing. 

The single line of index thumbnails at the bottom of the screen used to function in a manner where you could select the image on the left, then the 2nd image, the 3rd image and so-on, each holding their relative position until you got to the rightmost image, after which the screen refreshed and you started  again at the left.  At some point, there was a change in the program so that your selected image is always centered.  I find this much harder to use, especially when I am trying to compare enlarged images quickly and go between what, for example, I know is the 2nd image and the 5th image.  I find this much quicker than going to a double screen view, enlarging the index images in another view, or any other method.

Any chance of going back to that original feature as an option?  Thanks, Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can you stop "centering" of small index images in "panes view"?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:40:08 AM »
Mike,

Hi Kirk, I never followed up on your reply to my original request.  I had asked "Can you stop the "centering" of the selected image when looking at enlarged photos in the "panes view" the way Mechanic use to be?  I find it much more difficult to keep track of where I am and in comparing images.  Perhaps there is a way to do this now, but I haven't found it.  I'm not sure if I am even using the correct terms to ask for what I like, but hope you understand me anyway" 

I see this was written poorly because you responded explaining the shortcut to "zoom" which I wasn't referring to.  (you wrote "If you Command-click (Ctrl-click on Windows) on an area that you want to view zoomed up, the area you clicked on will be centered.  Command-click again to go back out of zoomed mode.  It's really effective this way.  Please give it a try." 

What I was referring to was in the view with the enlarged image (after you double-click on a photo) but not about the enlarged image, I was asking about the little index thumbnails at the bottom of the screen and the manner they are viewed.  I'm not sure what this view is called, but you have the option of hitting the "F" key to toggle screens between full screen image, or the second view with small index thumbnails at the bottom and an info palette on the right.  This is the view I prefer using for my editing. 

The single line of index thumbnails at the bottom of the screen used to function in a manner where you could select the image on the left, then the 2nd image, the 3rd image and so-on, each holding their relative position until you got to the rightmost image, after which the screen refreshed and you started  again at the left.  At some point, there was a change in the program so that your selected image is always centered.  I find this much harder to use, especially when I am trying to compare enlarged images quickly and go between what, for example, I know is the 2nd image and the 5th image.  I find this much quicker than going to a double screen view, enlarging the index images in another view, or any other method.

Any chance of going back to that original feature as an option?  Thanks, Michael

Just turn off the check box titled "Auto-center thumbnails in thumbnail gallery" in the Preview tab of the Preferences dialog.

That should do it.

-Kirk