Author Topic: Strange Index Results  (Read 12046 times)

jla

Strange Index Results
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
The various IPTC-reading software in use on my computer all reflect any changes I make. The only thing that's hanging things up is Windows Search. Windows Search 4 which shows captions, keywords and source is showing data that I changed at least two months ago. Where is it getting that from? Is it still inside the photos somehow?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Strange Index Results
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
My guess is that Windows search caches it's information and does so incorrectly...

The only other guess I have is that your files contain both iptc and xmp info and that they are out of sync. Windows search may be using one, the other software the other set of data. One way to find this out is by using exiftool; that shows ALL embedded data.

HTH,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

jla

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
I don't think I'm smart enough to use exiftool. I managed to drag and drop a file onto it, but I can't expand the window wide enough to see everything it says. From what I can see it's NOT showing the old metadata and everything is how it looks in Adobe, ACDSee, Photo Mechanic and XnView.

update: saw how out to make a txt output; same results as above,

So I guess that means the problem is coming from Windows Search 4. Do you have any idea where it's keeping the old data so I can delete the index and start over? Not that that would help long-term if this is just going to be a recurring problem. Under Advanced Options, there's a Rebuild Index button so I'm trying that next. Thank-you for your response.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:42:36 AM by jla »

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »
There is a GUI for exiftool for windows, look here:

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

jla

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »
I rebuilt the index in Windows Search 4 and am still getting old metadata. When I put a couple of these photos through exiftool, the old metadata is listed under ---- IPTC2 ----

So, I've got IPTC, the most recent version and IPTC2, the old version. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
Hmm, this is kinda strange. However, this may work in your case:

Have PM force a rewrite of the IPTC and XMP data (e.g., by "editing" a field without actually changing it).

Perhaps this cures it.

HTH,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

jla

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
I thought of that too but I couldn't try it when I had only Windows Search to test it against. Now, with exiftool, I can see the changes  immediately but it makes no difference. There are two versions of the IPTC and that's it.

If I add new metadata and save, it will add to IPTC and if I then take it out and re-save it will subtract. But the IPTC2 info stays just as it is. That is data from a couple of months ago. If it would help, this old IPTC data was added using other software. "Other software" could have been Adobe, ACDSee Pro, or MediaDex. And a little bit XnView. Those would be the main ones I was using before I purchased Photo Mechanic.

When I got PM I went through everything trying to bring better order and consistency to my methods. The old metadata is not being recognized as 'irrelevant' by PM, obviously as it just keep hanging around in there and seems to be Windows Search's favored version of it.