Author Topic: MSVCR71.DLL Not found  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
MSVCR71.DLL Not found
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
Using Ver 4.6.2.1 and this morning the above error message appeared when I tried to start by clicking on the desktop icon. It suggested re installing which I did and then it worked ok.

However, the same problem has just happened again. I will re install but wonder could you advise me what could be happening and a possible fix?

System I use is XP Home SP 3 (32 bit). 2 hard drives, one (D:), for cache. Free memory usually about 2,5Gb. Both drives have plenty of space.

Thanks in advance. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: MSVCR71.DLL Not found
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
Using Ver 4.6.2.1 and this morning the above error message appeared when I tried to start by clicking on the desktop icon. It suggested re installing which I did and then it worked ok.

However, the same problem has just happened again. I will re install but wonder could you advise me what could be happening and a possible fix?

System I use is XP Home SP 3 (32 bit). 2 hard drives, one (D:), for cache. Free memory usually about 2,5Gb. Both drives have plenty of space.

Thanks in advance. 

Check to see if the file MSVCR71.DLL exists in the C:\Windows\System32\ directory.  If something is deleting or damaging that file then you'll need to find out what is causing that to happen and stop it from happening.  Have you checked your system for viruses?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:44:01 AM »
By chance I have scanned my system today for virus/trojan etc and appears to be clean. Will check system file as you suggest and update you on the outcome.

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
I have scanned my system for threats such as virus, rootkits, etc. Also used Registry Mechanic but this has not solved the problem. Various prgrammes on the net, including Registry Mechanic, claim to solve the problem but there is usually a fee and so far Registry Mechanic has not solved the problem so I am reluctant to spend more money on useless software.

I have kept the install programme for PM on the desktop and once I re install it works ok. But after a while it then comes up with the same problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:35:03 PM »
Frank,

I have scanned my system for threats such as virus, rootkits, etc. Also used Registry Mechanic but this has not solved the problem. Various prgrammes on the net, including Registry Mechanic, claim to solve the problem but there is usually a fee and so far Registry Mechanic has not solved the problem so I am reluctant to spend more money on useless software.

I have kept the install programme for PM on the desktop and once I re install it works ok. But after a while it then comes up with the same problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

When the problem happens, does the file still exist, or is it missing?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »
The file is not there when the problem exists but last night I use windows recover which seems to have brought it back.

Frank

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »
Frank,

The file is not there when the problem exists but last night I use windows recover which seems to have brought it back.

That's really odd.  I have no idea why that file would spontaneously go missing, but I can guarantee that Photo Mechanic does not have any code in it to delete the DLLs that it needs in order to run.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Kirk. If the problems recurs, or I find the answer I will let you know.

I ma very happy with the software and will continue to use it.

Regards, Frank