Author Topic: CD Lag when sorting  (Read 6039 times)

Offline dbacksjon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
CD Lag when sorting
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »
Hey,
When I put a CD in my Dual 2.0 PowerMac system and bring up PM it recognises the CD immediately but if i double click to bring up a contact sheet of the cd (usually 100-200 photos at 3mg each) it takes almost 5 minutes to sort through and open the CD so i can work with the photos. Is this normal?
Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: CD Lag when sorting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:10:30 PM »
Jon,

When I put a CD in my Dual 2.0 PowerMac system and bring up PM it recognises the CD immediately but if i double click to bring up a contact sheet of the cd (usually 100-200 photos at 3mg each) it takes almost 5 minutes to sort through and open the CD so i can work with the photos. Is this normal?

If you're sorting by anything other than by Filename, then yes that is normal.  We have to read all of the metadata of each file before we can sort them.  If it is by Filename then we already have the data that we need.

How do you have your Contact Sheets sorted by default?

-Kirk

Offline dbacksjon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 02:35:30 PM »
Yeah, my photogs shoot on several different cards so i have it all set to sort by date created. I understand what you are saying. So i assume if i change the sort to filename when i am working with CD's i will be ok?

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 10:49:04 PM »
Jon,

Yeah, my photogs shoot on several different cards so i have it all set to sort by date created. I understand what you are saying. So i assume if i change the sort to filename when i am working with CD's i will be ok?

Yes, that is correct.  But you'll have to make it the default sorting style by changing it in the Contact Sheet tab of the Preferences dialog before you browse the CD.

It will still be much slower than your hard drive, but it will still be more responsive than when sorting by Date Created.

-Kirk