Author Topic: organise / organize images / collections / save as / play video  (Read 2640 times)

Offline juji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Use PM all the time, but sometimes need to use other programs like Bridge CS4 and Fotostation to do what I want. Here are my suggestions – apologies if it's been on the forum before, I had a look but couldn't find anything posted.

#1 Is there a way to move photos around in the contact sheets, as with Bridge's Lightbox feature? I'd like to be able to create an edit in the contact sheet, then select all, then rename all (in the new order). At the moment having to rename photos individually to do this is a pain. Another useful addition in this respect would be something like Lightroom/Bridge CS4's "Collections" feature – the ability to create an edit without moving images from their original folders.

#2 I'd like to be able to play videos in PM in the contact sheet/preview – rather than being taken out of PM into my video app.

#3 In the Save As window I'd like to be able to specify the maximum file size – eg 150k, or 1MB. At the moment, the slider means each image saves at a variable size. Also, a file-naming string would be useful in the same dialog. eg, to save files with the suffix -web into the original folder.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: organise / organize images / collections / save as / play video
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:44:44 AM »
1. Guess I'm not clear on what you're asking.  I move images around all the time in PM contact sheets just drag and drop to the new position.  Then I select the ones I want or all in the new order and rename.  I use sequence numbers when I rename so other applications that sort by filename keep the images in the order I want.

2. Kirk can answer this one but I for one don't want PM to be a bloated, try-to-do-it all program and I suspect adding all the codecs necessary to play the various AV formats would certainly add to the size of PM.  Speed is PMs strong suit.  I hope it stays lean and mean.

3. Why not use the rename function and add -web to the filename when using "Save As"?  Use the variables to keep the current filename portions you want and add -web to the end. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:32:01 AM »
Use PM all the time, but sometimes need to use other programs like Bridge CS4 and Fotostation to do what I want. Here are my suggestions – apologies if it's been on the forum before, I had a look but couldn't find anything posted.

#1 Is there a way to move photos around in the contact sheets, as with Bridge's Lightbox feature? I'd like to be able to create an edit in the contact sheet, then select all, then rename all (in the new order). At the moment having to rename photos individually to do this is a pain. Another useful addition in this respect would be something like Lightroom/Bridge CS4's "Collections" feature – the ability to create an edit without moving images from their original folders.

#2 I'd like to be able to play videos in PM in the contact sheet/preview – rather than being taken out of PM into my video app.

#3 In the Save As window I'd like to be able to specify the maximum file size – eg 150k, or 1MB. At the moment, the slider means each image saves at a variable size. Also, a file-naming string would be useful in the same dialog. eg, to save files with the suffix -web into the original folder.

#1 It sounds like you have a fairly old version of Photo Mechanic.  PM has been able to rearrange the order of photos since version 4.5.0.  PM calls this an 'Arrangement'

#2 PM cannot currently play videos and that may change.  In regards to the second poster's concerns, the codecs are provided by QuickTime so there shouldn't be any 'bloat' to PM.

#3 Save as doesn't have a 'limit size feature'.  Save as can do renaming and has been able to do so for some time now.  The renaming string would be '{filenamebase}-web' for your example above.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline juji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »
Many thanks for your replies – I have 4.6.3 and wasn't aware of the Arrangement feature, but I'm happy I've found it now.  ::)

Are there plans to have a 'limit size feature' in the save as dialog in the future?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
Many thanks for your replies – I have 4.6.3 and wasn't aware of the Arrangement feature, but I'm happy I've found it now.  ::)

Are there plans to have a 'limit size feature' in the save as dialog in the future?

Not at this time.

-Kirk