Author Topic: Automated Functions  (Read 9450 times)

Offline mp160968

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Automated Functions
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
Are you considering developing  some automated functions ? Maybe just for camera tagged images. (Sharpening, captioning, saving then sending to an ftp address ?) I'm sure it would go down well with sports and news photographers who have very little time to edit and with budget cuts we no longer have techs to send stuff for us. I used phojo and other Idruna software for a while but could not get my head around using a pc and it was very buggy. A similar type of software from Camerabits would be really useful and I'm sure would sell well. It's something I'd love to be able to use at the World Cup in South Africa in June.

Many thanks

MP

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automated Functions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
Are you considering developing  some automated functions ? Maybe just for camera tagged images. (Sharpening, captioning, saving then sending to an ftp address ?) I'm sure it would go down well with sports and news photographers who have very little time to edit and with budget cuts we no longer have techs to send stuff for us. I used phojo and other Idruna software for a while but could not get my head around using a pc and it was very buggy. A similar type of software from Camerabits would be really useful and I'm sure would sell well. It's something I'd love to be able to use at the World Cup in South Africa in June.

We're considering the implementation of the ability for Live Ingest to be able to initiate an upload to any upload snapshot without user interaction.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
It would be great if PM supported Function Keys and some kind of "Actions".
i.e. Select some files, hit a function key that would tag or color code, convert to DNG, save DNGs to a chosen location and open DNGs or RAW originals in PS Camera Raw plugin. Do some picture correction and crop, etc. Return to PM, add captions, hit a function key to color code and FTP selections to the paper.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
i.e. Select some files, hit a function key that would tag or color code, convert to DNG, save DNGs to a chosen location and open DNGs or RAW originals in PS Camera Raw plugin. Do some picture correction and crop, etc. Return to PM, add captions, hit a function key to color code and FTP selections to the paper.

There are already lots of keyboard shortcuts to apply ratings, tags, and color classes and to upload photos.  While they aren't function keys like F1 through F12, they are easy to type and are listed on the menu items themselves.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »

There are already lots of keyboard shortcuts to apply ratings, tags, and color classes and to upload photos.  While they aren't function keys like F1 through F12, they are easy to type and are listed on the menu items themselves.

-Kirk

I was thinking in terms of combining multiple menu options into an "action", a la PS and assigning a function key. I'll take that as a no or not yet. :-)

Offline mrboswell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
I agree with the request for actions.

I'm currently a fotostation user and I'm hoping to make the switch to photomechanic however I've been looking at an older version (4.4.3) of PM on a friends laptop and while I like the large contact sheet view in PM I find the actions in the right hand column of FS VERY easy to use.

With code replacement a very strong pull for me towards PM, the actions in FS are keeping me from moving despite the significantly cheaper price of PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
I agree with the request for actions.

I'm currently a fotostation user and I'm hoping to make the switch to photomechanic however I've been looking at an older version (4.4.3) of PM on a friends laptop and while I like the large contact sheet view in PM I find the actions in the right hand column of FS VERY easy to use.

With code replacement a very strong pull for me towards PM, the actions in FS are keeping me from moving despite the significantly cheaper price of PM.

What do these actions in Fotostation do?

-Kirk

Offline mrboswell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
Hi Kirk,
On the right hand side of the program screen is a list of tabs that are set for various tasks. For example I have created actions for different FTP boxes for various clients as well as applying captions and other metadata. I also have a email actions for when I need to mail direct to newspaper picture desks. I also have move, copy actions etc.
I drop down the tabs I want to use on certain jobs prior to downloading pics and when needed I just click on the button of the action that I want to use.

Basically I find the FS layout more intuitive and quicker than what I have seen PM (at least the older version anyway)

I'd really like to use code replacement (which FS doesn't have) and the email function works much better in PM.

As I said I'd much prefer to use PM for the cheaper price alone but it just looks as though it is less intuitive. In FS the actions are really easy to set up and modify.

I've attached a pic of the FS layout.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4404007095_807ecaa6a3_o.jpg
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:59:35 AM by mrboswell »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
On the right hand side of the program screen is a list of tabs that are set for various tasks. For example I have created actions for different FTP boxes for various clients as well as applying captions and other metadata. I also have a email actions for when I need to mail direct to newspaper picture desks. I also have move, copy actions etc.
I drop down the tabs I want to use on certain jobs prior to downloading pics and when needed I just click on the button of the action that I want to use.

Basically I find the FS layout more intuitive and quicker than what I have seen PM (at least the older version anyway)

I'd really like to use code replacement (which FS doesn't have) and the email function works much better in PM.

As I said I'd much prefer to use PM for the cheaper price alone but it just looks as though it is less intuitive. In FS the actions are really easy to set up and modify.

It looks like the actions have disclosure triangles on them.  What does one look like when expanded?

-Kirk

Offline mrboswell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

It looks like the actions have disclosure triangles on them.  What does one look like when expanded?

-Kirk

The last one on the right is expanded to reveal 2 "folder" icons - I have one set to a clients FTP box and the other to apply a metadata template and caption that I have previously saved.

In the 2nd pic below you can see a few of the boxes are expanded.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4404834158_7f592ffbf9_o.jpg

Colm

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
Colm,

-Kirk

The last one on the right is expanded to reveal 2 "folder" icons - I have one set to a clients FTP box and the other to apply a metadata template and caption that I have previously saved.

In the 2nd pic below you can see a few of the boxes are expanded.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4404834158_7f592ffbf9_o.jpg

OK, so do you drag and drop photos onto these actions?

In the expanded actions that have multiple folders in them (CAPTION, FTP or FTP, CAPTION) do they perform each of those actions in the order they're listed from top to bottom?  When 'CAPTION' comes into play, is it just applying an IPTC stationery or is it prompting you to enter caption information?

-Kirk

Offline mrboswell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
Kirk,
The buttons are not for drag and drop - select pics and just hit the button. For FTP I select pics, and hit whichever FTP button I want and then it will FTP the pics and then move the files to a sent folder as well as changing the color code on the pic to ensure I don't resend.

The order of the actions does not matter - its just the way I set them up and they can be move up or down. Any action can be called anything but can have numerous actions under one button.

With 'Caption' I have it set to apply an IPTC stationery but I don't have it set to check a quality value which would ask me to fill a field that was not entered.

It allows you to have all your "homework" done so when you are ready you can just click on the right side on whatever action you want. There is also a feature which asks you "are you sure you want to...?" which stops any accidents!!

Logging off for the night  :)

Colm