Author Topic: 'Save Photo's as' issue  (Read 6141 times)

Offline reefer

• View Profile
'Save Photo's as' issue
« on: August 12, 2006, 07:56:10 AM »
Hi,

I currently trying the PM demo which so far I have found to be excellent. I have a slight problem in that when I want to save files using the 'save photo's as' command the file size that I select (via the slider) is not fully reflected in the saved files. For instance the file size in the original folder reads as 2.50MB, the file which I saved to another folder using 'save as' is 2.0MB...this is despite setting the slider 1.47MB

I assumed I would get a duplicated file in the new folder no larger in size than 1.47MB ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'Save Photo's as' issue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:39:21 AM »
Marc,

I currently trying the PM demo which so far I have found to be excellent. I have a slight problem in that when I want to save files using the 'save photo's as' command the file size that I select (via the slider) is not fully reflected in the saved files. For instance the file size in the original folder reads as 2.50MB, the file which I saved to another folder using 'save as' is 2.0MB...this is despite setting the slider 1.47MB

I assumed I would get a duplicated file in the new folder no larger in size than 1.47MB ?

That size preview only pertains to the first file in a selection.  It uses all of the settings in the dialog: JPEG Quality, Apply Crop, Scaling, etc. and then it processes the first file in your selection to a JPEG in memory and then reports the final size.  This size does not include any additional metadata or ICC profile sizes and is really just an estimate.  It is not 100% accurate and like I said it only applies to the first image of possibly many images you have selected.

Now, if you had a 1/2 MB estimate error on a single file (no other files selected) then either your original image had a fairly large embedded profile and/or IPTC and XMP data which isn't taken into account, or there is a bug in the estimator.

If you find that your image didn't have a lot of unaccounted for data in it, then I would be happy to use your image to test and find out what is going on.  I would also want a screenshot of your Save As dialog settings.

Click on my name and send me a private message if you would like me to test with your image.

-Kirk