Author Topic: Slow Ingesting with 4.6.3  (Read 7621 times)

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow Ingesting with 4.6.3
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:31:28 AM »
Kirk,

I am using PM 4.6.3 with San Disk Extreme 60MB/s cards downloading with the most recent San Disk USB card reader jpgs shot with Canon 5d mark II 's onto a Mac Book Pro 3.06 GHz with 8 gb RAM but the ingest is so slow . It took over 30 min to download two cards of appox 600 pictures . As you can see all the hardware is at the highest spec .Is this a a PM problem or do I need to look at something else ? Trying to file on a tight deadline is really doing my head in , as ingest should be flying at afaction of that time . Any insight you can pass on would be very much appreciated . Any one else having these problems ?

Patrick.
Patrick Hamilton I Photographer I shoephone +61(0)419 683 900 I skype patrickghamilton I www.patrickhamilton.com.au I patrick@patrickhamilton.com.au

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow Ingesting with 4.6.3
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:42:43 AM »
Patrick,

I am using PM 4.6.3 with San Disk Extreme 60MB/s cards downloading with the most recent San Disk USB card reader jpgs shot with Canon 5d mark II 's onto a Mac Book Pro 3.06 GHz with 8 gb RAM but the ingest is so slow . It took over 30 min to download two cards of appox 600 pictures . As you can see all the hardware is at the highest spec .Is this a a PM problem or do I need to look at something else ? Trying to file on a tight deadline is really doing my head in , as ingest should be flying at afaction of that time . Any insight you can pass on would be very much appreciated . Any one else having these problems ?

It would be really helpful to also know: what OS are you using?
Are you certain you're running 4.6.3?  Please check the About box for the version number when you're running Photo Mechanic.

If you're really running 4.6.3, then please post a screen shot of your Ingest dialog settings, and a screen shot of the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

If this problem is consistently reproducible then I can send you a series of logging versions of PM that will help pinpoint what is causing the ingest to be slow, if you're willing to test.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:22:14 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
Hi Kirk.... I have tried the suggestions from your last message & I did do a few test ingests & all seemed OK ..... Until I came to file on deadline last night .Same problem . Very slow ingest times making the use of PM for my work flow on deadline unusable . I cannot afford to wait for the slow ingesting . I had to leave the ingest at halftime to go back to shoot the game , meaning I could not file ...... !
I have now got to the situation where I may have to consider an alternative , as the Ingesting is a very serious problem . Also the performance when using PM whilst ingesting , is very very clunky or sluggish .

For other forum uses , these are the specs I am using.

PM 4.6.3 ,San Disk Extreme 60MB/s cards ,Canon mark IV ,Mac Book Pro 3.06 GHz , 8 gb RAM

Disk Cache Size 1024 MB  Memory Cache is set to 768 .

Again I'm sorry that this problem is raising it's head but as I have said it really is unusable at present.

Has  any one else had this problem ? Should I revert to a previous version ?

If you need anything else ie screen shots , please don't hesitate to let me know ....

Salante

Patrick
Patrick Hamilton I Photographer I shoephone +61(0)419 683 900 I skype patrickghamilton I www.patrickhamilton.com.au I patrick@patrickhamilton.com.au

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »

Has  any one else had this problem ? Should I revert to a previous version ?

Salante

Patrick

Had this problem with earlier versions with Snow Leopard but 4.6.3 cured it for me

Steve

Offline stonephoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
I'm having the same problem, very frustrating.  Using a brand new MacBook Pro and 4.6.3.  Blowing deadlines also!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
I'm having the same problem, very frustrating.  Using a brand new MacBook Pro and 4.6.3.  Blowing deadlines also!

Please try this version:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM4.6.3x.zip

It should solve the slow Ingest issue on Snow Leopard.

-Kirk

Offline atf300

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »

Please try this version:

It should solve the slow Ingest issue on Snow Leopard.

-Kirk

Kirk !

this fixed it for me , getting solid 35mb/s transfer again . tnx ! before it was hit or miss , tnx !!!!

oh , this is on a 4,1 macbook pro with a new 7200 500gb seagate and the sandisk fw800 reader and sandisk extreme IV 8gb cards (40mb/s and 45mb/s version)

Offline DavidGriffin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »
Kirk:
Having the same problems. It took me 13 seconds per image to download a card with 86 images on it from my Canon 7D.  I have a Lexar 400 and 800 firewire reader and also a generic USB 2.0 card reader. Makes no difference which reader I use.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.3 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.2 on my Intel Core 2 Duo based 17" MacBook Pro with 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
David,

Having the same problems. It took me 13 seconds per image to download a card with 86 images on it from my Canon 7D.  I have a Lexar 400 and 800 firewire reader and also a generic USB 2.0 card reader. Makes no difference which reader I use.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.3 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.2 on my Intel Core 2 Duo based 17" MacBook Pro with 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Please use this version:

-Kirk

Offline DavidGriffin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »
Wow!

That did it...........

Thanks!!