Author Topic: Slow previews (snapping into focus)  (Read 2667 times)

Offline PJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow previews (snapping into focus)
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »
Is it just me, or does it seem to take more time for RAW images to snap into focus in 4.6.3. I’m running it on a Mac with 10.5.8. Seems like when I click on a thumb, it takes a few seconds for it to snap into focus, much slower than with the previous version.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow previews (snapping into focus)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »
Is it just me, or does it seem to take more time for RAW images to snap into focus in 4.6.3. I’m running it on a Mac with 10.5.8. Seems like when I click on a thumb, it takes a few seconds for it to snap into focus, much slower than with the previous version.

Did you perhaps change your settings to instruct PM to render RAW files instead of using the much faster JPEG previews contained within your RAW files?  Check the RAW tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline PJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:46:18 PM »
That seems to have solved the problem. What was strange was I had it set to RAW before and didn’t experience the same wait times. I’ll leave it at JPEG, since that seems to work much better/faster. Thanks for the quick reply.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
That seems to have solved the problem. What was strange was I had it set to RAW before and didn’t experience the same wait times. I’ll leave it at JPEG, since that seems to work much better/faster. Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you sure?  Nothing has changed in the way PM uses Apple's ImageIO to render RAW files for at least a year now.

-Kirk