Author Topic: Capture Time sort in PM vs Aperture vs Adobe = Not the Same...  (Read 2810 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Capture Time sort in PM vs Aperture vs Adobe = Not the Same...
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »
I'm using PM 4.5.4 on an Intel Mac Pro with 10.5.8.

An issue that I often see is that when I correct Capture Time using the Adjust Capture Dates and Times in Photo Mechanic, that Adobe Bridge and Apple don't necessarily see the change when sorting by "Date". I hesitate to say that they don't ever see the changes, because I have not tested it that far lately.

I have a file that I corrected from 2-19-08 to 12-9-08.

In Aperture 3, the "Date Created" shows as 12-19-08 at 10:16 AM, while the "Date" shows as 2-18-08 at 10:16 PM.

In Bridge CS4, it shows as 2-19-08 at 12:16 PM.

In PM 4.5.4 (using the default "date" variable), it shows what I desire it to be, which is 12-9-08 at 06:38 AM.

When I copy all the "raw" metadata out of the file using PS CS4, I can't find the time that PM sees anywhere in the dump, though I can see that PM has made a date reference of some sort in the file (though I can't figure if or how it renders the correct date that I see in PM).

If I use PM to look at the "iptcdate" field, it does show 20080219, and the "iptctime" field shows "121604-0600". That is clearly what Adobe is reading, and I have no idea how Apple gets the extra two hours shaved off that.

Does this sound like a familiar or predictable issue? Is there any way to work the dates so that it will be sorted correctly in Apple and Adobe, or is this an intentionally hands off approach?

I have been seeing this for years, but never bothered bring it up until now.

Thanks,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture Time sort in PM vs Aperture vs Adobe = Not the Same...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
David,

I'm using PM 4.5.4 on an Intel Mac Pro with 10.5.8.

An issue that I often see is that when I correct Capture Time using the Adjust Capture Dates and Times in Photo Mechanic, that Adobe Bridge and Apple don't necessarily see the change when sorting by "Date". I hesitate to say that they don't ever see the changes, because I have not tested it that far lately.

I have a file that I corrected from 2-19-08 to 12-9-08.

In Aperture 3, the "Date Created" shows as 12-19-08 at 10:16 AM, while the "Date" shows as 2-18-08 at 10:16 PM.

In Bridge CS4, it shows as 2-19-08 at 12:16 PM.

In PM 4.5.4 (using the default "date" variable), it shows what I desire it to be, which is 12-9-08 at 06:38 AM.

When I copy all the "raw" metadata out of the file using PS CS4, I can't find the time that PM sees anywhere in the dump, though I can see that PM has made a date reference of some sort in the file (though I can't figure if or how it renders the correct date that I see in PM).

If I use PM to look at the "iptcdate" field, it does show 20080219, and the "iptctime" field shows "121604-0600". That is clearly what Adobe is reading, and I have no idea how Apple gets the extra two hours shaved off that.

Does this sound like a familiar or predictable issue? Is there any way to work the dates so that it will be sorted correctly in Apple and Adobe, or is this an intentionally hands off approach?

I have been seeing this for years, but never bothered bring it up until now.

In order to diagnose the problem one would have to figure out what each of the other two applications is using as the capture time.  Photo Mechanic uses the EXIF data for the {date} variable.  It is possible that Aperture and Photoshop are displaying different data for that purpose.

When you adjust the capture time with PM, have it adjust the modification time and IPTC date as well and see if that makes any difference.  If you're using XMP, only the most recent versions (4.6.2 and up) update the EXIF time and date data contained within XMP which Adobe's apps prefer to read.

-Kirk

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Capture Time sort in PM vs Aperture vs Adobe = Not the Same...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:31:23 AM »

Kirk -

Updating the IPTC on the sample file did resolve the issue for both Bridge and Aperture (did this by using the Adjust Capture Date and Time tool with value set to all zeros and the boxes checked below). I normally have that box checked at time of initial adjustment, so it seems to be a fluke of some sort (not excluding user error as a possibility) that a handful of images out of a very large batch did not seem to get the IPTC when I ran the tool the first time, while most did. I need to update to 4.6.x soon, so I'm sure it will work better then regardless.

Seems pretty clear now that both Apple and Adobe are reading IPTC.

Thanks,
David