Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Slow reaction time switching back to PM

(1/2) > >>

JAS Photo:
I love your program and how quickly you improve & fix stuff. My BIGGEST problem at this point is the amount of time it takes to get control of PM back after switching (multitasking) to any other program. I'm using 4.4.3.2 on a AMD dual core 3800 with 2.5 gb RAM. In the simple tests I just ran were with MS Word, PM, 2 windows of IE 7, and an Explorer window.
generally it takes 20-30 seconds to get back to PM - sometime PM draws the contact sheet in 10-15 seconds but I still get no reaction from PM for another 10 seconds.
All the other windows are active immediately. Any Suggestions?
Thanks
Joe

Kirk Baker:
Joe,

--- Quote from: jasphoto on August 12, 2006, 09:04:03 PM ---I love your program and how quickly you improve & fix stuff. My BIGGEST problem at this point is the amount of time it takes to get control of PM back after switching (multitasking) to any other program. I'm using 4.4.3.2 on a AMD dual core 3800 with 2.5 gb RAM. In the simple tests I just ran were with MS Word, PM, 2 windows of IE 7, and an Explorer window.
generally it takes 20-30 seconds to get back to PM - sometime PM draws the contact sheet in 10-15 seconds but I still get no reaction from PM for another 10 seconds.
All the other windows are active immediately. Any Suggestions?
--- End quote ---

What kind of images are you browsing?  How many are there?  How are you sorting the Contact Sheet?

-Kirk

JAS Photo:
I didn't factor that into my tests - I just tried a smaller folder 128+131 sorted by filename - NEF & JPG - 17 Seconds to get back to PM from this IE 7 window. When I went back to the folder I was using with 781 (NEF+JPG's) with 24 showing from my color coded selects. 15 seconds to get back but when I tried to add other colors to the group PM did not react - all seams fine but I can only see the 3 color codes (26 images)  I was working on I can't get the other color to be visible in the contact. (I've seen this before - when I restart PM it works again.) Didn't need to restart PM - Control came back. No difference wether all or just a subset still around 15 seconds.
Thanks
Joe

Kirk Baker:
Joe,

--- Quote from: jasphoto on August 13, 2006, 03:35:34 AM ---I didn't factor that into my tests - I just tried a smaller folder 128+131 sorted by filename - NEF & JPG - 17 Seconds to get back to PM from this IE 7 window. When I went back to the folder I was using with 781 (NEF+JPG's) with 24 showing from my color coded selects. 15 seconds to get back but when I tried to add other colors to the group PM did not react - all seams fine but I can only see the 3 color codes (26 images)  I was working on I can't get the other color to be visible in the contact. (I've seen this before - when I restart PM it works again.) Didn't need to restart PM - Control came back. No difference wether all or just a subset still around 15 seconds.

--- End quote ---

I have reread what you have written above about three times and I don't really follow what you are saying?

You're filtering by Color Class?  Did you change any of the images when you were switched out of PM?

-Kirk

JAS Photo:
Sorry I had a second problem while I was testing the first. - My point was it didn't seem to matter much how many images were were in the folder or if it was a large folder or only a smaller subset being viewed of a large folder. - I was looking at only the top 3 color classes - 26 images of 700+ NEF & JPG. I also the  full contact (all colors) & I tested a folder with only 20 images. similar times on all - 15 - 20 seconds. All sorted by filename.
Then My second problem was when I got control of PM back on at least one occasion it seemed to work fine except I couldn't get the color class filter to react. I would click on No color (Dotted Box) and still only see my top 3 color selects, I would click on the top colors to eliminate those from the contact and they would stay. I played with it for a minute or 2 and switched out (without closing PM & back once or twice) at some point it worked again.
Sorry about my rambling - now you know why I take pictures and don't write(right???- same difference).
Thanks
Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version