Author Topic: Set default resolution to match orignal image  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Canon Ray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Set default resolution to match orignal image
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
DPI is meaningless if image dimensions are not specified.

Apparently, the default resolution is set to 200 DPI and greatly reduces my image resolution. Please consider in the future setting the default to match the original image quality. (I learned from another user to clear the DPI field -that should be the default.)

This way: While experienced users will know if they want to reduce resolution, beginners won't find out after a lot of work that their high res images are now very low res and they have to hunt down why this happened and then start all over again. I just wasted three hours of editing to get 1MB images!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Set default resolution to match orignal image
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
Ray,

DPI is meaningless if image dimensions are not specified.

Apparently, the default resolution is set to 200 DPI and greatly reduces my image resolution. Please consider in the future setting the default to match the original image quality. (I learned from another user to clear the DPI field -that should be the default.)

This way: While experienced users will know if they want to reduce resolution, beginners won't find out after a lot of work that their high res images are now very low res and they have to hunt down why this happened and then start all over again. I just wasted three hours of editing to get 1MB images!

DPI is just a guideline if you're working with pixels.  It doesn't affect file size unless you're working with inches or centimeters.  A 72 DPI image with a width of 3000 and a height of 2000 will be the same file size as a 300 DPI image with a width of 3000 and a height of 2000 as long as the compression settings are the same.

Are you working with pixels or inches/cms?

-Kirk