Author Topic: When will PM become a 64 bit application?  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Peter E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
When will PM become a 64 bit application?
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard some weeks ago and will probably buy a copy of Photo Machine as well. Since Snow Leopard is able to take advantage of 64 bit applications, I wonder if PM will become a 64 bit application any time soon?

As far as I know, one of the main advantages of using 64 bit is the way the application and the system is using the memory and this should (AFAIK) make the PM even faster than it is now by making a 64 bit version of PM. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

/Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: When will PM become a 64 bit application?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
Peter,

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard some weeks ago and will probably buy a copy of Photo Machine as well. Since Snow Leopard is able to take advantage of 64 bit applications, I wonder if PM will become a 64 bit application any time soon?

As far as I know, one of the main advantages of using 64 bit is the way the application and the system is using the memory and this should (AFAIK) make the PM even faster than it is now by making a 64 bit version of PM. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

The main thing that a 64-bit upgrade would do is allow Photo Mechanic to access more memory at once.  Instead of having a 4GB address space, you get a much more vast address space, though if your computer doesn't have more than 4GB of RAM it won't make much difference.

Making a 64-bit version of PM is not a high-priority task for us.  Photo Mechanic works quite well with 32-bit addressing at this time.  If cameras start producing 100 megapixel images then PM will definitely need to become a 64-bit application in order to keep up.

-Kirk

Offline Peter E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
Peter,

The main thing that a 64-bit upgrade would do is allow Photo Mechanic to access more memory at once.  Instead of having a 4GB address space, you get a much more vast address space, though if your computer doesn't have more than 4GB of RAM it won't make much difference.

Making a 64-bit version of PM is not a high-priority task for us.  Photo Mechanic works quite well with 32-bit addressing at this time.  If cameras start producing 100 megapixel images then PM will definitely need to become a 64-bit application in order to keep up.

-Kirk

So, if I only have 4 GB of RAM in my MBP, I do not benefit from the 64-bit at all? Or do I in one way or another benefit in speed even if I do not have more physical memory installed in my computer? I thought 64-bit made the system and the applications to work more efficiently than during the 32-bit era.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
Peter,

So, if I only have 4 GB of RAM in my MBP, I do not benefit from the 64-bit at all? Or do I in one way or another benefit in speed even if I do not have more physical memory installed in my computer? I thought 64-bit made the system and the applications to work more efficiently than during the 32-bit era.

There are some benefits to processing numbers or chunks of data 64-bits at a time, but they're not nearly as dramatic as having a desktop system with 8 or more CPUs with 32GB of RAM with which to process data with.

-Kirk