Author Topic: Unmount Source Disk at Live Ingest  (Read 8448 times)

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unmount Source Disk at Live Ingest
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
I could see an Unmount Source Disk on the Live Ingest window or a Live Ingest option on the standard Ingest window. Live Ingesting from cards can be more preferrable when tethering isn't an option.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unmount Source Disk at Live Ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
I could see an Unmount Source Disk on the Live Ingest window or a Live Ingest option on the standard Ingest window. Live Ingesting from cards can be more preferrable when tethering isn't an option.

It does not make sense to use Live Ingest for a camera card since no new photos can arrive after the card is mounted.  Use Ingest instead.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
I do this when shooting CFL football (no laughing please) or any other event where tethering isn't applicable but access to the laptop is easy. As I walk past my computer during a commercial break, I pull one card and replace it with another. Half-time comes and I'm up and running. This works well with hockey and tennis when tethering is cumbersome or two cameras are used.
To be honest, pulling the card when downloading is finished just brings up an alert that often disappears by the time I'm ready with another card... it was just a thought.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
Is it on Windows or Mac?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Is it on Windows or Mac?

Would that make any difference?  Live Ingest isn't suitable for disks that will come and go (like flash cards.)

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Is it on Windows or Mac?

Would that make any difference?  Live Ingest isn't suitable for disks that will come and go (like flash cards.)

-Kirk

(I'm on Mac.) While unorthodox, Live Ingest from a card reader is more convenient than reaching to hit the enter key on the laptop.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Is it on Windows or Mac?

-Kirk

(I'm on Mac.) While unorthodox, Live Ingest from a card reader is more convenient than reaching to hit the enter key on the laptop.

I can see the point to this all, but I never had any problem hitting the Enter key to start an Ingest.

I asked the OS because I supposed (may be a mistake) OSX cannot handle in a live ingest way a disk that comes and goes. I presumed (may be wrong as well) Win may do that as it has the drive letters that could be assigned as live ingest sources.

However finding a solution to this may interrest many photogs on the sidelines with tight deadlines. Set up your ingest dialog and tick an option to auto ingest new cards. The question is how can it be done and how can it be made user friendly and failsafe. Maybe adding a large colour countdown window (hard to miss it as not being the standard ingest window) telling auto ingest starts in x seconds press a given key to cancel (and cancelling would unset the autoingest completely so next card inserted wont autoingest unless chosen again in ingest dialog. And maybe the same color window on top if auto ingest started to have it as a signal of what is happening and the option to cancel it unless needed. But this still can confuse users especially those not needing and thus not knowing this feature well enough.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
Szurkebarat,

However finding a solution to this may interrest many photogs on the sidelines with tight deadlines. Set up your ingest dialog and tick an option to auto ingest new cards. The question is how can it be done and how can it be made user friendly and failsafe. Maybe adding a large colour countdown window (hard to miss it as not being the standard ingest window) telling auto ingest starts in x seconds press a given key to cancel (and cancelling would unset the autoingest completely so next card inserted wont autoingest unless chosen again in ingest dialog. And maybe the same color window on top if auto ingest started to have it as a signal of what is happening and the option to cancel it unless needed. But this still can confuse users especially those not needing and thus not knowing this feature well enough.

That is an often-requested feature that we may implement in an upcoming version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Is it on Windows or Mac?

-Kirk

I can see the point to this all, but I never had any problem hitting the Enter key to start an Ingest.

I asked the OS because I supposed (may be a mistake) OSX cannot handle in a live ingest way a disk that comes and goes. I presumed (may be wrong as well) Win may do that as it has the drive letters that could be assigned as live ingest sources.

I guess I should have been more wordy when I brought this up.

Under normal working conditions, Ingest and the enter key is no problem. Last year I transmitted tennis from courtside. Laptop on a foldup one-step stool. I would ingest during breaks but that meant reaching down to the computer while holding onto a camera. (All of this takes place behind the advertising banners.)

This year, the plan is to velcro the reader to a higher point on the ad banner in front of me. Using Live Ingest, I can feed the card reader without reaching for the keyboard. I think Windows is hotswappable but Macs are not. Pull the card and an alert pops up... no biggie, it disappears after about a minute. Live Ingest works perfectly... just establish the path to the card at the start (save a snapshot for future use) and then pull your card. My snapshot has the path to the DCIM folder as well as another path for tethering so that I have the choice. Just remember to establish a path to an (empty) card, start Live Ingest, pull the card and go to work.

At the Bell Centre, we shoot from the seats and have to put our laptops on the other side of a glass barrier during game play. So, during breaks in the action, you have to lean over the glass barrier to hit the enter key. (Yes, we put the laptops on our laps during intermissions.) :-)

In both situations, I could tether the camera but it's a bit tight for space. At tennis, I could tether one camera and feed the card from the 2nd, less used camera... maybe. At hockey, I could let the tether hang over the glass barrier or run it along the glass barrier. Nothing really has to change to either ingest methods, just add an Unmount Disk option to Live Ingest and there's no need for any indicator by PM as to when the ingest is over as all readers have a light that flashes when in operation and the light is solid when complete.

All this for a stupid alert that usually disappears before I feed the next card. My apologies for beating this to death.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »
Is it on Windows or Mac?

I guess I should have been more wordy when I brought this up.

Under normal working conditions, Ingest and the enter key is no problem. Last year I transmitted tennis from courtside. Laptop on a foldup one-step stool. I would ingest during breaks but that meant reaching down to the computer while holding onto a camera. (All of this takes place behind the advertising banners.)

This year, the plan is to velcro the reader to a higher point on the ad banner in front of me. Using Live Ingest, I can feed the card reader without reaching for the keyboard. I think Windows is hotswappable but Macs are not. Pull the card and an alert pops up... no biggie, it disappears after about a minute. Live Ingest works perfectly... just establish the path to the card at the start (save a snapshot for future use) and then pull your card. My snapshot has the path to the DCIM folder as well as another path for tethering so that I have the choice. Just remember to establish a path to an (empty) card, start Live Ingest, pull the card and go to work.

At the Bell Centre, we shoot from the seats and have to put our laptops on the other side of a glass barrier during game play. So, during breaks in the action, you have to lean over the glass barrier to hit the enter key. (Yes, we put the laptops on our laps during intermissions.) :-)

In both situations, I could tether the camera but it's a bit tight for space. At tennis, I could tether one camera and feed the card from the 2nd, less used camera... maybe. At hockey, I could let the tether hang over the glass barrier or run it along the glass barrier. Nothing really has to change to either ingest methods, just add an Unmount Disk option to Live Ingest and there's no need for any indicator by PM as to when the ingest is over as all readers have a light that flashes when in operation and the light is solid when complete.

All this for a stupid alert that usually disappears before I feed the next card. My apologies for beating this to death.

The problem is that Live Ingest does not have a defined 'stopping point'.  It continues to scan for new files which in your case of using a CF card will have a finite number of files and does not continue to change.  It sounds like to me that the regular Ingest with an automatic start would be a better fit since it has an option to unmount the card and knows when it is done.

-Kirk

Offline Matt London

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »

The problem is that Live Ingest does not have a defined 'stopping point'.  It continues to scan for new files which in your case of using a CF card will have a finite number of files and does not continue to change.  It sounds like to me that the regular Ingest with an automatic start would be a better fit since it has an option to unmount the card and knows when it is done.

-Kirk

That would be a great feature on a future version of pmechanic...
Photo Mechanic Enterprise Version 6.0, build 4851. OSX 10.15.6, MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3.