Author Topic: JPEG Performance  (Read 6023 times)

Offline ricardsonwilliams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
JPEG Performance
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »

I have some old pictures(JPEG) when I double click on project folder that have around 200 jpges PM takes around 20sec to show all, bu when I click to another folder that have some NEFs the performancen its much better to read my NEFs than my JPEGs, someone can confirm this?

thanks,
Ricardson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPEG Performance
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »
Ricardson,

I have some old pictures(JPEG) when I double click on project folder that have around 200 jpges PM takes around 20sec to show all, bu when I click to another folder that have some NEFs the performancen its much better to read my NEFs than my JPEGs, someone can confirm this?

I'm not sure what we're supposed to confirm?  You have 200 JPEGs, and how many RAW files in the other folder?  What is the image size (width and height) of the JPEGs?  What is the size of the embedded preview in the NEFs?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »
Ricardson,

I'm not sure what we're supposed to confirm?  You have 200 JPEGs, and how many RAW files in the other folder?  What is the image size (width and height) of the JPEGs?  What is the size of the embedded preview in the NEFs?

-Kirk

I have 144 jpgs (dimensions 3216x2136, jpeg fine) and 32 RAW files (dimensions 4256x2832) about embedded preview I dont know, i use the default PM configuration.

tks,
Ricardson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
Ricardson,

I have 144 jpgs (dimensions 3216x2136, jpeg fine) and 32 RAW files (dimensions 4256x2832) about embedded preview I dont know, i use the default PM configuration.

I would expect 32 RAW files (even though their JPEG previews might be full size) at your quoted resolution to load faster than 144 JPEGs of your quoted size.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
Ricardson,

I would expect 32 RAW files (even though their JPEG previews might be full size) at your quoted resolution to load faster than 144 JPEGs of your quoted size.

-Kirk

I just did another tests.. copy 32 NEFS and 32 JPEGS to differente folders the jpegs around 4MB, and close/open PM and click at the first time the NEFs show a little more fast than Jpegs and the my NEFs its around 13MB.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:26 AM »
Ricardson,

I just did another tests.. copy 32 NEFS and 32 JPEGS to differente folders the jpegs around 4MB, and close/open PM and click at the first time the NEFs show a little more fast than Jpegs and the my NEFs its around 13MB.

It's entirely possible that the JPEG previews contained within your 32 NEFs are a fair amount smaller than the 4MB JPEGs you're comparing the load times on.  If you want to send us a couple of files to investigate, I can tell you exactly what size the embedded previews are.  The speed of loading JPEG data is entirely dependent on how much data there is.  It's as simple as that.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
Ricardson,

It's entirely possible that the JPEG previews contained within your 32 NEFs are a fair amount smaller than the 4MB JPEGs you're comparing the load times on.  If you want to send us a couple of files to investigate, I can tell you exactly what size the embedded previews are.  The speed of loading JPEG data is entirely dependent on how much data there is.  It's as simple as that.

-Kirk

I think dont need send the jpegs  ;D I really appreciate all help!

Thanks!
Ricardson