Author Topic: Info Text and Contact Sheet mode  (Read 17617 times)

Offline bokeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Info Text and Contact Sheet mode
« on: May 03, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »
I'd like to have the Info text funcionality, but in Contact Sheet mode too. Let us choose wich variables we want to show and where, just like in preview mode.

By the way, there's no variable to know wether the flash fired or not. It would be useful, if it can be done.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Info Text and Contact Sheet mode
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »
I'd like to have the Info text funcionality, but in Contact Sheet mode too. Let us choose wich variables we want to show and where, just like in preview mode.

By the way, there's no variable to know wether the flash fired or not. It would be useful, if it can be done.

Turn on the Info Tooltips.  You can toggle the tooltips by selecting the "Show Info Tooltips" menu item on the View menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline bokeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:13:55 PM »
Yes, I can do that, but I'd like to see the info right besides / below every thumbnail in the contact sheet. Thus, I could compare a series of images at a glance.
Oh, and I don't mean the exact same variables and formatting  I defined for the 'Info text', but another custom set of variables with a different formatting, so I can have two levels of information.

Offline bokeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »
I forgot to mention that the Info Tooltips doesn't respect the formatting I gave to the Info Text, specially the {tab} variable

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:31:44 PM »
Yes, I can do that, but I'd like to see the info right besides / below every thumbnail in the contact sheet. Thus, I could compare a series of images at a glance.
Oh, and I don't mean the exact same variables and formatting  I defined for the 'Info text', but another custom set of variables with a different formatting, so I can have two levels of information.

You mean you want to see this information along with the filenames under the thumbnails?

-Kirk

Offline bokeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:43:23 PM »
Please forgive me if I can't explain myself better than this, English isn't my best language :-)

Yes, that's what I mean. Under the thumbnails or to the left/right - I don't know where would be better - , and even to be able to remove the filename and just show something like the exif time or the iso / shutter speed / aperture.
Fully customizable info, just like the Info Text, but not the same exact info.

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 03:27:36 AM »
Kirk

It would be a nice addition however not at the expense of speed, I think most users would like a quick screen draw of the contact sheet, to enable a fast first edit, then if time permits to look at the exif data within the preview pane rather than being able to see all the possible variables that could be associated with an image.

To me, if the picture looks good then I select it, I don't care what ISO or aperture it was shot at.

Of course others may feel different but I'm suspect most editorial shooters or those on deadline would feel the same.

My 0.02p worth

Ant

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:28:01 AM »
It would be a nice addition however not at the expense of speed, I think most users would like a quick screen draw of the contact sheet, to enable a fast first edit, then if time permits to look at the exif data within the preview pane rather than being able to see all the possible variables that could be associated with an image.

Such a feature would not slow things down at all.  The Contact Sheet queries PM's caching system for information availability.  If the data is not available without waiting for it to be fetched, it doesn't display it.  That's why for just an instant when your thumbnails are loading, they just have filenames but no Tag checkbox and no Color Class on them.  The data isn't available so it isn't drawn.  I would make bokeron's feature request work the same way.

BTW, that feature (customizable text underneath each thumbnail) is already on the Wish List.

-Kirk

Offline bokeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 08:22:08 AM »
I agree with antpix, I won't like this at the expense of speed, but it seems it can be made without slowing down things, as Kirk explained. That's good, really good.

I don't usually care what the camera settings where, but sometimes I'm looking for a low iso image - because of noise - , or I'm analyzing two / three different camera settings, and I find useful to have a first impression without going into preview mode. There are other situations where I'd like different info shown, so it would be nice if this info could be made customisable.
So it would be just like the Info text, where I can choose variables form Exif, IPTC, etc...

In order to keep the info below / beside the thumbnail compact, I'd like to be able to customise it just like what the Info Text allows me to do.
I'd could show iso, shutter speed and aperture on the same line, or exif date and time, or IPTC Location,  and to be able to format this info using tabs, or center-align it.
And this includes if I want to show the full filename, the filename base, or nothing at all...

Something like this...

----------------------------
|                                   |
----------------------------
05.11.06 - 15:32:01
  Malaga - EspaƱa
 1/125s f16 iso800

Or any other combination anyone could think of.

On a different matter, is there a "Flash variable" ?
I mean, a variable that shows wether the flash was fired or not, of the mode it used (e-ttl, i-ttl, auto, manual  ....any ifo this variable can provide )