Author Topic: Supporting Japanese  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Taisei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Supporting Japanese
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:48:17 AM »
Hello from Tokyo,

I'm still using Version 4.1.1 which allows me to use Japanese in IPTC fields. But unfortunately, it seems that is the last version that supports Japanese.

Do you have any plan to support Japanese in the future?

Taisei

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Supporting Japanese
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:41:25 AM »
Taisei,

I'm still using Version 4.1.1 which allows me to use Japanese in IPTC fields. But unfortunately, it seems that is the last version that supports Japanese.

Do you have any plan to support Japanese in the future?

Yes, we have plans to support all languages that can be represented by the UTF-8 Unicode encoding.  The support in 4.4.1 is not correct for letters outside the 32 to 127 range of ASCII characters.  Version 4.4.1 and earlier did not do any checks to see that characters were outside that range to disallow them.  And that is why version 4.4.1 works for you.  Later versions disallowed characters outside that range and then included characters in the range of 128 to 255 as MacRoman encoding which worked properly with the majority of our customers' existing files, yet still isn't in specification.

I'm not sure of the exact version, but a future version will support Unicode IPTC and XMP data.

-Kirk

Offline Taisei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Supporting Japanese
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:10:00 AM »
Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

-Taisei