Author Topic: Reverse ingest?  (Read 17218 times)

Offline ckcondon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reverse ingest?
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
I know this has been brought up in the past and I'm wondering if there is any progress on an "Ingest order" feature?

Specifically the ability to ingest the most recent photos first.
In sports event coverage this is especially useful for quickly finding the winning moments, celebration and awards which need to be transmitted first. It's tough to have to sit through an entire card waiting for the last few images to load.

Getty Images' GIFT software automatically ingests "most recent first" and enables their photographers to quickly find and transmit key moments. It would certainly be a key feature to have in PM

Thanks

Chris Condon
PGA TOUR Photo Services

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Reverse ingest?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »
Chris,

I know this has been brought up in the past and I'm wondering if there is any progress on an "Ingest order" feature?

Specifically the ability to ingest the most recent photos first.
In sports event coverage this is especially useful for quickly finding the winning moments, celebration and awards which need to be transmitted first. It's tough to have to sit through an entire card waiting for the last few images to load.

No work is being done for this feature at this time.  It sounds like a reverse-filename sort would be adequate.  It would be done on a card-by-card basis, meaning that if you were ingesting two cards, the sorting would happen on each card independently.

-Kirk

Offline ckcondon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

Unfortunately the reverse-sort will only work after ingest right? I still have to wait for the entire card to be copied and I'm usually scrolling down anyway to watch them load
If I've been shooting on a 4gb card all day and need to get right to my winning moment and trophy shots, it takes a while.
I also rename and caption during ingest which slows it down a bit too.

I know I'm not the only one who would love this to be integrated. Everyone I mention it too agrees it would be valuable.

I only mentioned the Getty software because it works that way and is very efficient at getting the most recent photos transmitted quickly.

Thanks again for all the great work and terrific support!

CC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
Chris,

Unfortunately the reverse-sort will only work after ingest right? I still have to wait for the entire card to be copied and I'm usually scrolling down anyway to watch them load
If I've been shooting on a 4gb card all day and need to get right to my winning moment and trophy shots, it takes a while.
I also rename and caption during ingest which slows it down a bit too.

I know I'm not the only one who would love this to be integrated. Everyone I mention it too agrees it would be valuable.

Sorry, I was referring to the implementation of the new feature, not suggesting the use of the reverse sort checkbox.  It sounds like to me that if Ingest were to have an option to reverse sort the filename list then that would solve the problem effectively.  Does that sound right?

-Kirk

Offline ckcondon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:55:06 AM »
Gotcha.

Either reverse sort by filename or capture time would probably work.

Offline SCFotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 05:16:27 AM »
I photograph a lot of football (Soccer) and can easily shoot 200 plus images in a game before either team scores a goal. When I ingest the card it's the goal image I need, so a feature to reverse ingest would be a great bonus, allowing me to work on the goal picture straight away instead of having to wait for the other 200 to ingest first.

I'm currently still using version 4.6.9 is this kind of feature included in V5 or planned for any future release.

Stuart

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:48:04 AM »
No, this feature is not currently planned for implementation.

Not many people have requested it.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »
I would love to have this feature too!
My workspace is motorsports and same as football, you need the last shoot first.
In my case, podium, checkered flag, etc.
I have to wait the entire race to get the final shoots.
If PM can ingest the newest files first, will allow me to get the headline photo ready to be sent.
Thanks!

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
What about tagging the most important images in the cam and then ingest the tagged (locked) images only via PM as a first step and then ingest the untagged (unlocked) images in a 2nd step?

[attachment deleted by admin]
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
What about tagging the most important images in the cam and then ingest the tagged (locked) images only via PM as a first step and then ingest the untagged (unlocked) images in a 2nd step?

Good point Sven!
Will try this out
Thanks

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 04:07:15 AM »
What also just cam to my mind and I did always when shooting finishers or flower ceremonies:
Change memory-card in the cam... so you can ingest the 2nd card (ceremony) before you ingest the race / game images
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 03:55:21 PM »
I'll put my vote in for this feature as well...it would be great.

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:14 AM »
What also just cam to my mind and I did always when shooting finishers or flower ceremonies:
Change memory-card in the cam... so you can ingest the 2nd card (ceremony) before you ingest the race / game images

Another good option!

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
I support this request, too. Especially useful for news photographers.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »
So for all of you that want this feature, what would you expect to happen to the sequence number?  Would the newest file start with 001 or would the oldest file start with 001?

-Kirk