Author Topic: Totally confused  (Read 5572 times)

Offline kenglade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Totally confused
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »
I'm a new user, running PM 4.3.8 on a Mac G5 with OS X 10.5.8. After filling in my activation code I received a registration number and registered. However, PM refuses to recognize my registration. When I open PM I get a window asking me to register. The only way i can get the program to open is to click the "Later" button. If I click register, I get an error message saying my registration code is invalid. If I check for software updates, I get the "invalid registration code" warning again and a suggestion to call PM. I've done that twice and so far my problem has not been solved.

In addition, when I try to configure PM in the "Preferences" dropdown my options look nothing like those listed in examples I downloaded from the PM site. For example, on "Contact Sheet Preferences" I have no "Thumbnails" options, I have no "Raw" tab, no "accessibility" tab" and no option I can find for "Context Menu."

I've uninstalled and re-installed once and there have been no changes in program operation.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I junk the whole doggone thing?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Totally confused
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:45 PM »
Ken,

I'm a new user, running PM 4.3.8 on a Mac G5 with OS X 10.5.8. After filling in my activation code I received a registration number and registered. However, PM refuses to recognize my registration. When I open PM I get a window asking me to register. The only way i can get the program to open is to click the "Later" button. If I click register, I get an error message saying my registration code is invalid. If I check for software updates, I get the "invalid registration code" warning again and a suggestion to call PM. I've done that twice and so far my problem has not been solved.

In addition, when I try to configure PM in the "Preferences" dropdown my options look nothing like those listed in examples I downloaded from the PM site. For example, on "Contact Sheet Preferences" I have no "Thumbnails" options, I have no "Raw" tab, no "accessibility" tab" and no option I can find for "Context Menu."

I've uninstalled and re-installed once and there have been no changes in program operation.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I junk the whole doggone thing?

Why is it that you're using an old version of Photo Mechanic if you're a new user?  The latest version is 4.6.3 and is available from our website:

http://www.camerabits.com/site/downloads.html

Please try version 4.6.3 since the version you're using is outdated and isn't updated to run properly on Mac OS X 10.5.x.  Version 4.3.8 is nearly five years old.  The examples you're looking at refer to the most recent versions of Photo Mechanic.  A lot has changed since the release of version 4.3.8.

When did you purchase Photo Mechanic and where did you purchase it?

-Kirk

Offline kenglade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. I think I now have it installed correctly.

I purchased PM from Amazon on 7 Dec 2009 but it was shipped from a dealer named samaky. The version I was using was what was on the installation disk. Once I had it installed from the disc, I tried to get any updates that might be available. That's when I ran into the registration problem. I got an error message saying my registration code was invalid and I could not proceed.

I went to the url in your email and downloaded/installed without a problem or mention of registration.

I'm now looking forward to using the program

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »
Ken,

Thanks, Kirk. I think I now have it installed correctly.

I purchased PM from Amazon on 7 Dec 2009 but it was shipped from a dealer named samaky. The version I was using was what was on the installation disk. Once I had it installed from the disc, I tried to get any updates that might be available. That's when I ran into the registration problem. I got an error message saying my registration code was invalid and I could not proceed.

I went to the url in your email and downloaded/installed without a problem or mention of registration.

I'm now looking forward to using the program

Sounds good.  If you have any further issues due to registration issues, please contact our support folks at 503-547-2888 or via email at support@camerabits.com and reference this thread of messages.  They should be able to get everything straightened out.

-Kirk