Author Topic: Create XMP sidecar with Phase One files  (Read 15626 times)

Offline cbarber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Create XMP sidecar with Phase One files
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
Hi,

Is there a way to create xmp files alongside Phase One (P45+) files instead of embedding the data into the original file? I have tried several times with various versions of PM but haven't had any luck. I was told at one time PM treats the Phase One file as a "non-camera TIFF file". I am not sure what exactly that means in relation to creating xmp files but programs, such as Bridge, and Expression Media (iView) do it easily.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Create XMP sidecar with Phase One files
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Is there a way to create xmp files alongside Phase One (P45+) files instead of embedding the data into the original file? I have tried several times with various versions of PM but haven't had any luck. I was told at one time PM treats the Phase One file as a "non-camera TIFF file". I am not sure what exactly that means in relation to creating xmp files but programs, such as Bridge, and Expression Media (iView) do it easily.

Does the file end in .TIFF?  If so, PM is always going to embed metadata into the files since TIFF is an open, documented file format.  No applications should expect to see an XMP sidecar file along side a TIFF file.

Is there some sort of problem you're trying to avoid?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline cbarber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »
Thank you for your prompt reply.

The RAW files end with a .TIF extension. All my files off the back (several years) end with .TIF and Bridge automatically creates and writes to xmp side cars when I create or edit my metadata. If I throw the xmp file away no metadata I created shows up on the RAW file. I would prefer PM to create xmp files too.

My concern writing directly to the RAW file is that the file has now been altered from its original state and down the road I might have an issue reprocessing the file in a future version of C1 for example. I do not know how much merit my concern has and would love to not worry about such things.

My version of PM is the latest V. 4.6.3 (a trial version).

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
The RAW files end with a .TIF extension. All my files off the back (several years) end with .TIF and Bridge automatically creates and writes to xmp side cars when I create or edit my metadata. If I throw the xmp file away no metadata I created shows up on the RAW file. I would prefer PM to create xmp files too.

My concern writing directly to the RAW file is that the file has now been altered from its original state and down the road I might have an issue reprocessing the file in a future version of C1 for example. I do not know how much merit my concern has and would love to not worry about such things.

My version of PM is the latest V. 4.6.3 (a trial version).

Well perhaps there is some sort of distinguishing characteristic in the TIFF files produced by your camera that we could detect and cause Photo Mechanic to treat them specially.  Let me know if you want to share a sample file for us to use to investigate this possibility.

-Kirk

Offline cbarber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Yes, I'd be very happy to share a file with you. Please tell me where to upload it.
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »
Yes, I'd be very happy to share a file with you. Please tell me where to upload it.

I sent you a personal message with the upload details.

-Kirk

Offline cbarber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Just curious if someone had a chance to look at my Phase One RAW file? It would be great if the option was there to create xmp files instead of embedding data in the original RAW file.

Thanks.

Clive

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Clive,

Just curious if someone had a chance to look at my Phase One RAW file? It would be great if the option was there to create xmp files instead of embedding data in the original RAW file.

I never received any message telling me that files arrived.  What is the filename of the image you uploaded?

-Kirk

Offline cbarber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »
Ah, well I replied to the email sent personally to me. I guess I should have replied here too. I uploaded a folder using my name (Clive Barber) as the title containing the file and a short letter.

Thank you.

Clive

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:13:51 AM »

Does the file end in .TIFF?  If so, PM is always going to embed metadata into the files since TIFF is an open, documented file format.  No applications should expect to see an XMP sidecar file along side a TIFF file.

Just so that you're aware, RAW files from Phase One digital backs can also have a IIQ extension.

Intelligent Image Quality: IIQ RAW File Compression Algorithm

As well, RAW files used with Capture One, including those from DSLR's (beginning with Capture One 5), can be optionally be wrapped up in an EIP package.

What is EIP ?

The Phase One EIP stands for "Enhanced Image Package".
What this package does is put the RAW file (IIQ file) together with its preview, image settings and LCC file (if applicable). All packaged into one single file .

The Enchanced Image Package is a standard ZIP file where all the settings have been package together. That being the case, if you don't wish to use Capture One 4.7 to open the files you can extract the information from any standard ZIP reading program.

Another side note that those using Capture One for image processing might wish to be aware of, while Capture One 5.x has a feature to read/load some IPTC metadata from XMP side car files it stores metadata in it's own '.cos' side car files. Which it references when embedding metadata in processed files (rather than any existing XMP side care files). Also, Phase One says it doesn't modify nor embed IPTC metadata in original RAW files.

Take care,

-Anthony
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:31:58 AM by AnthonyAdachi »