Author Topic: Error Copying images version 4.6.3  (Read 17149 times)

Offline TIMRP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error Copying images version 4.6.3
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:52:48 AM »
To whom it may concern,
  I have been trying without success to copy files from two folders on one of my four hard drives on my mac pro version 10.5.8(I get the message "there were error(s) during the copy operation").  I am currently running PM version 4.6.3 and have only started having this problem since this most recent download for PM.  I do wedding photography, and I have folders made up in order of date with subfolders that follow with the name of the client and then 5-6 subfolders under their name.  Typically I will go into PM tag the photos I want and then copy them into one of the 5-6 subfolders to be taken into lightroom.  At this point I have had this problem with only to weddings and I have tried a number of things consisting of moving the original files to different hard drives and trying again, re-naming pics, verifying and repairing disk permissions, etc...all without success.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Tim

Offline TIMRP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Error Copying images version 4.6.3
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »
I just "downgraded PM" to an earlier version and the copy operation works fine now!?  Not sure whats going on!?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:29:31 AM »
Tim,

I have been trying without success to copy files from two folders on one of my four hard drives on my mac pro version 10.5.8(I get the message "there were error(s) during the copy operation").  I am currently running PM version 4.6.3 and have only started having this problem since this most recent download for PM.  I do wedding photography, and I have folders made up in order of date with subfolders that follow with the name of the client and then 5-6 subfolders under their name.  Typically I will go into PM tag the photos I want and then copy them into one of the 5-6 subfolders to be taken into lightroom.  At this point I have had this problem with only to weddings and I have tried a number of things consisting of moving the original files to different hard drives and trying again, re-naming pics, verifying and repairing disk permissions, etc...all without success.  Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Please list an example of a path (the full path, please) to one of the folders you're trying to save to.

Example:

/Users/kbaker/Photos/Weddings/2010/The Folder I'm Saving to/

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:38 AM »
To whom it may concern,
  I have been trying without success to copy files from two folders on one of my four hard drives on my mac pro version 10.5.8(I get the message "there were error(s) during the copy operation"). 
Tim

My guess is that you may be using an illegal folder name (eg using an ampersand: &  )

I did this in error & got same problem

Try using simple folder names & see if that works
Good luck

Steve

Offline bartonpaul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00:01 AM »
I'm experiencing the same and no matter what folder I try I get the same error.  There are also several other photographers also having the same issue with 4.6.3 on the Digital Wedding Forum.  When I go back to 4.5.2 and try the same copy I have no problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
I'm experiencing the same and no matter what folder I try I get the same error.  There are also several other photographers also having the same issue with 4.6.3 on the Digital Wedding Forum.  When I go back to 4.5.2 and try the same copy I have no problem.

Please post a screenshot of your Copy dialog.

-Kirk

Offline bartonpaul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:39:34 AM »
A copy was emailed as a PDF to Jerry

Offline bartonpaul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:02 AM »
I just forwarded the email containing the PDF, please let me know you got it.

Bart

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
Bart,

I just forwarded the email containing the PDF, please let me know you got it.

I looked at the PDF.  Thanks for uploading it.  Unfortunately it doesn't show the path to the folder you're trying to save to.  Can you post a screenshot of the folder picker dialog that comes up just after you click the Copy button?  When you do so, make the dialog as wide as possible and put it into Column view mode.  That way I'll be able to see most, if not all, of the path that you're choosing.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bartonpaul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 07:07:44 AM »
I have removed the program at this point, the path does not seem to matter, I and others have changed it many times.  The same paths work with older versions flawlessly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 07:13:56 AM »
I have removed the program at this point, the path does not seem to matter, I and others have changed it many times.  The same paths work with older versions flawlessly.

Can you please send me a screen shot of any path that doesn't work correctly?  It would really help.  If I cannot reproduce the problem then the problem will not be fixed, even in future versions of Photo Mechanic.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline lisamark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
I was experiencing the same issue but I had an ampersand in my destination folder.  I removed it and it works fine now.  A bit annoying because I like to use the ampersand in wedding folder titles but I guess I'll have to live without it!  Weird error!

Offline TIMRP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »
Kirk,
  Here is the extension I tried to copy to earlier.../volumes/Holding 2/1-17-2010/Erica & Jeff - wedding/mail.  I apologize for taking so long to get back as I have been out of the office on business!  Thanks for your quick response!

Tim

Offline TIMRP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »
Cant remember if I mentioned it earlier but I also tried copying the same files to a folder on my desktop which i named "copy" to simply the file name and it still wouldn't work.  At the moment the older version is working fine!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
Cant remember if I mentioned it earlier but I also tried copying the same files to a folder on my desktop which i named "copy" to simply the file name and it still wouldn't work.  At the moment the older version is working fine!

For  those of you having this problem, please try this version.  It is a release version but does not have the usual disk image format.  You'll need to download it and then double-click it in the Finder to decompress it, producing the Photo Mechanic application.

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM4.6.3x.zip

-Kirk