Author Topic: Error Copying images version 4.6.3  (Read 17148 times)

Offline bartonpaul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Error Copying images version 4.6.3
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
I spent the last day or so testing the 4.6.3.x version with no issues!  Thanks Kirk!

Bart

Offline melissa.delsol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Cant remember if I mentioned it earlier but I also tried copying the same files to a folder on my desktop which i named "copy" to simply the file name and it still wouldn't work.  At the moment the older version is working fine!

For  those of you having this problem, please try this version.  It is a release version but does not have the usual disk image format.  You'll need to download it and then double-click it in the Finder to decompress it, producing the Photo Mechanic application.

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM4.6.3x.zip

-Kirk

I've downloaded and expended this file to all of my machines (iMac, MacPro, MBPro: all running 10.6.2).  It shows up as PM 4.6.2 in the info pane, but credits 4.6.3 inside PM's info, once installed, I'm still finding the same issue.

Please Advise.

Thanks,
.melissa.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »
Melissa,

Cant remember if I mentioned it earlier but I also tried copying the same files to a folder on my desktop which i named "copy" to simply the file name and it still wouldn't work.  At the moment the older version is working fine!

For  those of you having this problem, please try this version.  It is a release version but does not have the usual disk image format.  You'll need to download it and then double-click it in the Finder to decompress it, producing the Photo Mechanic application.

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM4.6.3x.zip

I've downloaded and expended this file to all of my machines (iMac, MacPro, MBPro: all running 10.6.2).  It shows up as PM 4.6.2 in the info pane, but credits 4.6.3 inside PM's info, once installed, I'm still finding the same issue.

I don't know why the Info Pane in the Finder is showing 4.6.2, but if it says 4.6.3 in the About Photo Mechanic dialog or splash screen then it is version 4.6.3.

What is the full path to the destination folder that you're copying to?  What is the full path to the source file you're copying?

-Kirk

Offline melissa.delsol

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »
Melissa,

I don't know why the Info Pane in the Finder is showing 4.6.2, but if it says 4.6.3 in the About Photo Mechanic dialog or splash screen then it is version 4.6.3.

What is the full path to the destination folder that you're copying to?  What is the full path to the source file you're copying?

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, sorry I missed these...

It basically happens with any set of files, either natively on my HD or remotely on another machine... but here's an example:

Office iMac/Users/Office/Pictures/01 Inbox/ClientNames/03 Final JPGs/ClientName.jpg
Matts MBPro/Users/Matt/Desktop/Client Folder/04 Slideshow/ClientName.jpg
etc...

And happens when going anywhere...

Office iMac/Users/Office/Desktop
Sols MBPro/Users/Sol/Documents/Client Folder/01 Unedited/ClientName.jpg

Our naming conventions for folders and files usually look like this:
folder: 021810 | Bride+Groom | Photog
file: Bride+Groom_W_0001.jpg

Have never had issue with file naming, copying over a network, nada...

Am able to copy/move from a PM pane to a finder window without issue.

Have downgraded to PM 4.6.2 and all issues are fixed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
Melissa,

Thanks Kirk, sorry I missed these...

It basically happens with any set of files, either natively on my HD or remotely on another machine... but here's an example:

Office iMac/Users/Office/Pictures/01 Inbox/ClientNames/03 Final JPGs/ClientName.jpg
Matts MBPro/Users/Matt/Desktop/Client Folder/04 Slideshow/ClientName.jpg
etc...

And happens when going anywhere...

Office iMac/Users/Office/Desktop
Sols MBPro/Users/Sol/Documents/Client Folder/01 Unedited/ClientName.jpg

Our naming conventions for folders and files usually look like this:
folder: 021810 | Bride+Groom | Photog
file: Bride+Groom_W_0001.jpg

I'll make sure that the next update handles '|' in the path as well.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »

Thanks,

-Kirk

I have not tested it but since "|" is the piping operator in windows, I'm not sure if allowing it in files names is a good idea.  I have had problems in the past with Mac file names on Windows machines and, from my recollection, use of "|" may have been the problem. 

Here is a list of "operators" used by Windows (and Unix) and I have noted in a previous post that at least "&" has caused some problems. 

">" Writes the command output to a file or a device, such as a printer, instead of the Command Prompt window.

"<" Reads the command input from a file, instead of reading input from the keyboard.

">>" Appends the command output to the end of a file without deleting the information that is already in the file.

">&" Writes the output from one handle to the input of another handle.

"<&" Reads the input from one handle and writes it to the output of another handle.

"|" Reads the output from one command and writes it to the input of another command. Also known as a pipe

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks,

-Kirk

I have not tested it but since "|" is the piping operator in windows, I'm not sure if allowing it in files names is a good idea.  I have had problems in the past with Mac file names on Windows machines and, from my recollection, use of "|" may have been the problem. 

We really can't stop people from naming folders with characters that aren't a good idea to use.  We just have to work with them as best we can.

-Kirk

Offline photographer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
Kirk,
I am having the same problem and called in last month about it. I was supposed to get some
word back about it, but have not.
I am using Windows 7 and PM 4.6.3.
Is there a new fix for Windows7 also?
I am getting it on every single copy of larger cards. (It could be the 2 Gig cards are
not big enough to set it off).
I am not using any strange file or folder names and I get it every time
in many situations with both computers.
It does not appear to be a time out issue, as things run fast till the error occurs.
Harley Soltes
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:34:56 PM by photographer »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
Harley,

I am having the same problem and called in last month about it. I was supposed to get some
word back about it, but have not.
I am using Windows 7 and PM 4.6.3.
Is there a new fix for Windows7 also?
I am getting it on every single copy of larger cards. (It could be the 2 Gig cards are
not big enough to set it off).
I am not using any strange file or folder names and I get it every time
in many situations with both computers.
It does not appear to be a time out issue, as things run fast till the error occurs.

Please see my reply to the other thread you started.

-Kirk

Offline rgbman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
I too couldn't copy any image at all no matter what path I tried. This version 4.6.3X does allow me to copy once again. Thanks Kirk.

Mac Quad Core Xeon running Leopard 10.5.8

Offline decoderltd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
Hi Kirk,

That worked fine for me and finally solved the problem. Thanks.