Author Topic: Slow -- Doing Everything  (Read 3193 times)

Offline beachy201

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow -- Doing Everything
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
Hello,

I have been a PhotoMechanice user for years and am just starting to experience that my PM is working very slow on my new computer system.

I have researched on this forum for "PM working slow" and found many other threads, however they all seem to be with regard to, ingesting, working with RAW etc.

My problem is rather strange. As my PM is working slow, PERIOD.

Even worse is i work exclusively with re-sized jpegs anywhere from 2-4mb each, so not very demanding.

Here are the details of what i am using:

Photomechanic 4.5.4
Running Windows XP
Running on a PC desktop
Quad CPU
2.39 GHz
3.25 GB of RAM

For example converted 740 pics (1.1 gb file size) to color class 1. And it took 4 1/2 minutes

I use to work my PM on a very slow laptop connected to an external drive through USB and it would take 30 seconds to do a conversion like the above one that takes 4+ minutes on a way faster computer.

Would really love any suggestions you could offer.

Thanks in advance

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow -- Doing Everything
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
I have been a PhotoMechanic user for years and am just starting to experience that my PM is working very slow on my new computer system.

I have researched on this forum for "PM working slow" and found many other threads, however they all seem to be with regard to, ingesting, working with RAW etc.

My problem is rather strange. As my PM is working slow, PERIOD.

Even worse is i work exclusively with re-sized jpegs anywhere from 2-4mb each, so not very demanding.

Here are the details of what i am using:

Photomechanic 4.5.4
Running Windows XP
Running on a PC desktop
Quad CPU
2.39 GHz
3.25 GB of RAM

For example converted 740 pics (1.1 gb file size) to color class 1. And it took 4 1/2 minutes

I use to work my PM on a very slow laptop connected to an external drive through USB and it would take 30 seconds to do a conversion like the above one that takes 4+ minutes on a way faster computer.

I suggest calling our technical support folks at 503-547-2888 since they'll be able to ask you questions and help you solve your problem much more efficiently than I could possibly do here.

-Kirk