Author Topic: Search via Spotlight (a bit off-topic)  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Search via Spotlight (a bit off-topic)
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »
Dear Mac users,

as a more or less new user on the Mac I read in the PM documentation that searching via the spotlight is possible in PM. Unfortunately it will not work for me and so I'd like to ask the Mac users here in the forum for your help, please.

My images are stored on a NAS which is mounted via SMB or AFP. I already tried to set up an index with mdutil -i on /Volumes/xxxx and status says that the indexing is enabled - but nothing happens. Does anybody has a hint for me how the spotlight work will start to work?

Thanks for your help,
Lars

P.S.: I'm running MaxOS 10.6.2

Offline jsberk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Search via Spotlight (a bit off-topic)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »
Have you had any solutions to this?

I am actually trying to do some major streamlining for a massive photo archive and have begun the keywording process. I am entering keywords into the metadata of all my files with the hope that I can then search by those keywords in Mac's Spotlight feature (found along the top menu bar, not a part of PM). I began the process with Adobe Bridge but found that Adobe and Mac don't play nice together and Mac's Spotlight feature will not search the keywords put in via Bridge. A friend suggested PM so I have the demo and all of my keywords (originally created through Bridge) and they show up in PM's info palette but I still cannot search with those words in Spotlight. What gives? Solutions??? Anyone?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »
Have you had any solutions to this?

I am actually trying to do some major streamlining for a massive photo archive and have begun the keywording process. I am entering keywords into the metadata of all my files with the hope that I can then search by those keywords in Mac's Spotlight feature (found along the top menu bar, not a part of PM). I began the process with Adobe Bridge but found that Adobe and Mac don't play nice together and Mac's Spotlight feature will not search the keywords put in via Bridge. A friend suggested PM so I have the demo and all of my keywords (originally created through Bridge) and they show up in PM's info palette but I still cannot search with those words in Spotlight. What gives? Solutions??? Anyone?

What image types are you working with?  RAW, JPEG, PSD, etc.?

-Kirk

Offline jsberk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
JPEG.

I have been reading through old postings and I have the sinking feeling that there might not be a solution but a photo friend claims that it works for her so I'm still slightly hopeful.

Any help/insight would be great.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:08 AM »
JPEG.

I have been reading through old postings and I have the sinking feeling that there might not be a solution but a photo friend claims that it works for her so I'm still slightly hopeful.

Are the images local (on your hard drive instead of on a server)?  Are you putting IPTC into your JPEGs or only IPTC4XMP (XMP)?

I think Spotlight only works with IPTC and not XMP.

-Kirk

Offline jsberk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
The images are all on a server. I work for a college and we have a server dedicated to digital media. If I go into Spotlight and do a search based on a keyword, I specify the location where the search should take place (on that server). It can find files by name but not by keywords.

As for the 2nd question, I'm not sure. I open the files and type in the keywords I want associated with those specific images. What is the XMP? The IPTC encoding says that it's Mac Roman if that means anything.

-Jen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
Jen,

The images are all on a server. I work for a college and we have a server dedicated to digital media. If I go into Spotlight and do a search based on a keyword, I specify the location where the search should take place (on that server). It can find files by name but not by keywords.

As for the 2nd question, I'm not sure. I open the files and type in the keywords I want associated with those specific images. What is the XMP? The IPTC encoding says that it's Mac Roman if that means anything.

In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog you can set Photo Mechanic to write IPTC and IPTC4XMP both, or either one but not the other to your JPEGs, TIFFs, PSDs, etc.

If you have an IT department, perhaps you could have them look at this:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=1247657

-Kirk

Offline jsberk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
Thanks Kirk!