Author Topic: Find control  (Read 6573 times)

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find control
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:57:06 PM »
Is it possible to find a string of words like "Miss California Teen USA" in the caption field?  My captions include "Palm Springs, California" and "Miss California Teen USA 2006".  If I search for "California" all of the images are tagged due to "Palm Springs, California"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Find control
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:30:07 AM »
Is it possible to find a string of words like "Miss California Teen USA" in the caption field?  My captions include "Palm Springs, California" and "Miss California Teen USA 2006".  If I search for "California" all of the images are tagged due to "Palm Springs, California"

What OS are you running, and what version is it?

I need this information to best answer your question.

-Kirk

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 01:18:55 AM »
Mac OS X 10.4.7 Using PM 4.4.3.2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 06:54:01 AM »
Mac OS X 10.4.7 Using PM 4.4.3.2

OK, then you have several options.  Based on your earlier description, I'd guess that you are using the Quick Search text field in the toolbar to search for "California".  This search approximates what you'd get if you used the Spotlight menu (with the exception that ours only returns results that are images).  This searches all possible fields for "California", thus explaining the results you received.

What you'll want to do is either use the Find panel (Command-F) or the Search panel (Command-Option-F), which one you'll use depends on if you only want to search in the current Contact Sheet (use Find) or if you want to search your entire filesystem (use Search).

If you want to search only the current Contact Sheet, use Find and then turn off all of the checkboxes except the one labeled "Caption".  Then enter: California into the text field.  Make sure the "In:" popup menu says "All photos", and then click on the Find button.

If you want to search your entire filesystem then use the Search panel.  Change the popup menu on the first search criteria to "Caption" if it isn't already set.  Then change the second popup menu to "Contains", and then enter: California into the text field.  Then click on the Search button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:11:44 PM »
Maybe I did not explain well enough.  Two captions as follows:

Taylor Hope Wright, Miss Arkansas Teen USA 2006, poses for an official photo during registration and fittings for the Miss Teen USA competition at the Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, California on July 31st, 2006.  She will compete for the title of Miss Teen USA 2006 during the LIVE NBC broadcast of the 24th annual Miss Teen USA competition from Palm Springs, California on August 15th, 2006 at 8PM (ET/delayed PT).  ho/Miss Universe L.P., LLLP

Jessica Bre Powell, Miss California Teen USA 2006, poses for an official photo during registration and fittings for the Miss Teen USA competition at the Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, California on July 31st, 2006.  She will compete for the title of Miss Teen USA 2006 during the LIVE NBC broadcast of the 24th annual Miss Teen USA competition from Palm Springs, California on August 15th, 2006 at 8PM (ET/delayed PT).  ho/Miss Universe L.P., LLLP

I need to find all of the "Miss California Teen USA 2006" photos ONLY.  If I search for California I get all of the 2000+ Images because all of the images were shot in Palm Springs, California.

Is it possible to search for a string of words instead of a single word?  In other words I need to search for Miss California Teen USA 2006 as a group of words.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
Maybe I did not explain well enough.  Two captions as follows:

Taylor Hope Wright, Miss Arkansas Teen USA 2006, poses for an official photo during registration and fittings for the Miss Teen USA competition at the Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, California on July 31st, 2006.  She will compete for the title of Miss Teen USA 2006 during the LIVE NBC broadcast of the 24th annual Miss Teen USA competition from Palm Springs, California on August 15th, 2006 at 8PM (ET/delayed PT).  ho/Miss Universe L.P., LLLP

Jessica Bre Powell, Miss California Teen USA 2006, poses for an official photo during registration and fittings for the Miss Teen USA competition at the Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, California on July 31st, 2006.  She will compete for the title of Miss Teen USA 2006 during the LIVE NBC broadcast of the 24th annual Miss Teen USA competition from Palm Springs, California on August 15th, 2006 at 8PM (ET/delayed PT).  ho/Miss Universe L.P., LLLP

I need to find all of the "Miss California Teen USA 2006" photos ONLY.  If I search for California I get all of the 2000+ Images because all of the images were shot in Palm Springs, California.

Is it possible to search for a string of words instead of a single word?  In other words I need to search for Miss California Teen USA 2006 as a group of words.

Yes.  And I thought that I had explained it clearly, but maybe a picture will be worth a thousand words:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »
Ok, when I do that search it shows ALL of the images not just Miss California Teen USA 2006.   My guess is that every caption has Miss ---- Teen USA 2006, and every caption has Palm Springs, California in the caption field.  I need the search to be isolated to those words in that order.

[attachment deleted by admin]