Author Topic: Change image filenames in Find and Replace  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
Change image filenames in Find and Replace
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
Hi,

I often have to change the prefix in my file names, e.g., change batch of filenames from "1234-John-Doe-xxx.jpg" to "abcd-John-Doe-xxx.jpg".

It would be very useful to be able to make this change via the "Find and Replace" option.  I realize that, at the moment, Find and Replace only applies to the IPTC fields. Is there any chance this could be extended to include filenames?

Cheers,

Paul

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change image filenames in Find and Replace
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Paul,

I often have to change the prefix in my file names, e.g., change batch of filenames from "1234-John-Doe-xxx.jpg" to "abcd-John-Doe-xxx.jpg".

It would be very useful to be able to make this change via the "Find and Replace" option.  I realize that, at the moment, Find and Replace only applies to the IPTC fields. Is there any chance this could be extended to include filenames?

It is an often-requested feature.  We may add that in the future.

But you can do most of this type of thing with the Rename dialog and clever use of substring-extraction on the {filenamebase} variable.  For instance your example could be:

abcd{filenamebase:5}

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:44:30 PM »
Paul,

But you can do most of this type of thing with the Rename dialog and clever use of substring-extraction on the {filenamebase} variable.  For instance your example could be:

-Kirk

Brilliant!  Thank you, Kirk, you've just saved me tons of work!  :)

-Paul

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
Paul,

Brilliant!  Thank you, Kirk, you've just saved me tons of work!  :)

You're welcome.  The complete documentation for this capability is in the version 4.6.3 manual on page 51 and you can read more about it there.

-Kirk