Author Topic: PM not updating when RAW files updated  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Canon Ray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not updating when RAW files updated
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:56:43 PM »
PM4.6, Windows Vista

In photomechanic, Canon RAW files were cropped and tags added. Then I went into the Canon software to adjust the brightness (+1.0). Went back into PM and the brightness there hadn't changed. Went back into Canon software to verify image was brighter -it was as I had adjusted it (+1.0). Thought maybe PM just wasn't updating the view, so in PM I saved as jpeg file. The jpeg file did not have the current brightness either.

How do I get PM to look at the current RAW file?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:01:14 PM by Canon Ray »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not updating when RAW files updated
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
PM4.6, Windows Vista

In photomechanic, Canon RAW files were cropped and tags added. Then I went into the Canon software to adjust the brightness (+1.0). Went back into PM and the brightness there hadn't changed. Went back into Canon software to verify image was brighter -it was as I had adjusted it (+1.0). Thought maybe PM just wasn't updating the view, so in PM I saved as jpeg file. The jpeg file did not have the current brightness either.

How do I get PM to look at the current RAW file?

It's not possible.  Canon's software doesn't update the embedded preview in the RAW file and Photo Mechanic cannot render a RAW file the way Canon's software does (well it doesn't render RAW files at all.)

You'll need to save a JPEG or TIFF from Canon's software which will then reflect your adjustments.

-Kirk