Author Topic: PM CD/DVD burning & cross platform compatibility?  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM CD/DVD burning & cross platform compatibility?
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:44:13 PM »
Hi,

Just tried out the CD/DVD burning feature of PM 4.4.3.2 on a Mac G5 running OSX 10.4.6 and have a question regarding cross platform compatibility of disks burned with PM. Specifically, I burned a few DVDs for a client that is PC based. I didn't think about this until afterwards, so when I did an Info check on the DVDs, I noticed they are all in Mac OS Extended format. I suspect this will pose a problem for the client trying to read the disks on a PC system. Can anyone confirm this?

Usually I use Toast and it burns DVDs in Universal Disk Format and the client has never had issues reading these DVDs. Otherwise I love the ability to open a contact sheet with tens of GBs of files and let PM take care of spanning the contents across several DVDs.

Is there or could there be a way to have PM burn in UDF or is that a problem of the Mac OS, which I assume PM is using to do the burning....?

Ron
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM CD/DVD burning & cross platform compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
Ron,

Just tried out the CD/DVD burning feature of PM 4.4.3.2 on a Mac G5 running OSX 10.4.6 and have a question regarding cross platform compatibility of disks burned with PM. Specifically, I burned a few DVDs for a client that is PC based. I didn't think about this until afterwards, so when I did an Info check on the DVDs, I noticed they are all in Mac OS Extended format. I suspect this will pose a problem for the client trying to read the disks on a PC system. Can anyone confirm this?

Usually I use Toast and it burns DVDs in Universal Disk Format and the client has never had issues reading these DVDs. Otherwise I love the ability to open a contact sheet with tens of GBs of files and let PM take care of spanning the contents across several DVDs.

Is there or could there be a way to have PM burn in UDF or is that a problem of the Mac OS, which I assume PM is using to do the burning....?

I have burned many discs while developing the feature and they all worked perfectly fine on my Windows systems.

Did you try them on a Windows system?

-Kirk

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM CD/DVD burning & cross platform compatibility?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:46:50 AM »
Kirk: I don't have ready access to a Windows system (believe it or not) otherwise I would have tried it. Thanks!
Ron Scheffler - Photographer