Author Topic: Viewing ACR edited raws/jpeg in PM. How?  (Read 10578 times)

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
Viewing ACR edited raws/jpeg in PM. How?
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
Hi!
I use PM to tag all my pics. Sometimes the exposure or WB are not right, so I open it in ACR and adjust it. But PM keeps the old preview (with WB and exposure not adjusted).
My questions are:

Is it only the preview that is not correct? If I export to JPEG (from PM) will I get this JPEG corrected? I made some tests and I believe its not possible... correct me if Im wrong,please.

I would like to use PM an ACR to make few corrections and JPEG export, instead of LR... I use LR just for correcting purposes.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Viewing ACR edited raws/jpeg in PM. How?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »

I use PM to tag all my pics. Sometimes the exposure or WB are not right, so I open it in ACR and adjust it. But PM keeps the old preview (with WB and exposure not adjusted).
My questions are:

Is it only the preview that is not correct?

Yes.

Quote from: rbuchner
If I export to JPEG (from PM) will I get this JPEG corrected? I made some tests and I believe its not possible... correct me if Im wrong,please.

No, you can't see the adjusted image because Adobe doesn't update the embedded JPEG preview with the adjusted image.  And they don't share their rendering technology with anyone so Photo Mechanic cannot provide an image that looks like it does in Adobe's software.

I would like to use PM an ACR to make few corrections and JPEG export, instead of LR... I use LR just for correcting purposes.

If you use DNG as your format, Adobe does update the embedded JPEG preview in DNG files.  PM can see the updated previews in DNG files and you can do all operations (Save as, Export, Print, Upload, etc.) from a DNG file.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
I wanted to check : For jpg's adjusted in ACR, does PM yet leave the adjustment headers in place, so that the adjustments are preserved following visiting the file with PM.

Thanks
Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
Dan,

I wanted to check : For jpg's adjusted in ACR, does PM yet leave the adjustment headers in place, so that the adjustments are preserved following visiting the file with PM.

Yes, version 4.6.3 should.

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:43 AM »
thanks!

something is not clear to me, due language limitations...

If Im using JPG, not raw:

1- I open up the file in PS, adjust levels.
2- come back to PM, the shortcut is still the old one (before levels), but the actual file is adjusted, without the need of export as jpeg, correct?

If Im using RAW:

1- I should export to DNG, before everything
2- Open ACR, make adjustments, and press DONE (without open the file in PS - just the raw adjustments - is it CORRECT?)
3- come back to PM, now I should see the updated preview in PM, correct?

Please tell me if I understood anything wrong.

Ricardo

My questions are:

Is it only the preview that is not correct?

Yes.

If I export to JPEG (from PM) will I get this JPEG corrected? I made some tests and I believe its not possible... correct me if Im wrong,please.

No, you can't see the adjusted image because Adobe doesn't update the embedded JPEG preview with the adjusted image.  And they don't share their rendering technology with anyone so Photo Mechanic cannot provide an image that looks like it does in Adobe's software.

If you use DNG as your format, Adobe does update the embedded JPEG preview in DNG files.  PM can see the updated previews in DNG files and you can do all operations (Save as, Export, Print, Upload, etc.) from a DNG file.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »
Hi!

I made a test.

I exported some raw files to DNG, them I openned this dng in ACR, and changed its WB to tungsten, so the image became very bluish, and clicked DONE in ACR (I did not click SAVE IMAGE or OPEN IMAGE - just DONE).
I came back to PM, and the thumb was still the old one.
I closed PM and openned it again, the thumb is still the old one, not the bluish I just saved in ACR.

If came back to ACR with this same file, I see the bluish image, but not in PM.

Is there something tobe made, so I can see the corrected DNG preview?

thanks again.

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
Ricardo,

I made a test.

I exported some raw files to DNG, them I opened this dng in ACR, and changed its WB to tungsten, so the image became very bluish, and clicked DONE in ACR (I did not click SAVE IMAGE or OPEN IMAGE - just DONE).
I came back to PM, and the thumb was still the old one.
I closed PM and opened it again, the thumb is still the old one, not the bluish I just saved in ACR.

If came back to ACR with this same file, I see the bluish image, but not in PM.

Is there something to be made, so I can see the corrected DNG preview?

Try saving the DNG.

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
Kirk,

I dont understand.

How do I save it?

I exported from raw to dng...

Ricardo

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
Oh, I got it...

But now i see a copy of that file (filename_1.dng).
I would like to update that file, instead of creating a copy...

Is it possible?

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »
Oh, I got it...

But now i see a copy of that file (filename_1.dng).
I would like to update that file, instead of creating a copy...

Is it possible?

It's not PM issue, it's Photoshop issue.

You must have Photoshop Camera Raw's Update embedded JPEG previews in DNG turned OFF. You should open Photoshop, go to Camera Raw Preferences (accessible from Photoshop/Preferences/Camera Raw... menu on Mac, I think from the Edit menu on PC). Find "Update embeddeg JPEG previews" and make sure it's ON,  and preferably set to Full Size (if you want full size preview, same size as original image).

After this, it will work like described. Pressing Done will save the conversion info in the DNG files and update the embedded preview at the same time, and you will see the changes in thumbnails and preview in Photomechanic at once.

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »
Thanks Frantisek!

It worked, but the thum is not automactically refreshed, right?
I had to close the contact sheet and open again to see the changes.

Is there a way to refresh the thumbs on the fly? I tried View>Refresh, but didnt work.

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »
Ricardo,

Thanks Frantisek!

It worked, but the thum is not automactically refreshed, right?
I had to close the contact sheet and open again to see the changes.

Is there a way to refresh the thumbs on the fly? I tried View>Refresh, but didnt work.

If the modification date of the file changes, then PM will reload the image.  It sounds like ACR isn't updating the modification date of the file.

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:10:26 PM »
Ricardo,

If the modification date of the file changes, then PM will reload the image.  It sounds like ACR isn't updating the modification date of the file.

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk!

And how do I correct that? Looks like something that has to be corrected on ACR, but how do I do that?

Thanks!

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 04:08:51 AM »
At least on Mac OS X, ACR does update the date modified. But on Mac it might be completely handled by the operating system.
Actually, if I change a DNG in ACR, PM updates the thumbnail as soon as I switch back to PM.

You didn't specify what operating system you use, and I don't know the Windows version of PM much.

But at least on Mac, make sure you have in Photomechanic's preferences the following option set on:

"Automatically rescan when folder content changes"

It's under the Contact Sheet tab. You will have to restart PM for it to take effect.

Otherwise, you can always rescan manually (it's under File menu, Rescan contact sheet, or keyboard shortcut CMD / or CTRL / )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »
At least on Mac OS X, ACR does update the date modified. But on Mac it might be completely handled by the operating system.
Actually, if I change a DNG in ACR, PM updates the thumbnail as soon as I switch back to PM.

You didn't specify what operating system you use, and I don't know the Windows version of PM much.

But at least on Mac, make sure you have in Photomechanic's preferences the following option set on:

"Automatically rescan when folder content changes"

It's under the Contact Sheet tab. You will have to restart PM for it to take effect.

Actually that's not necessary.  PM will always rescan the folder when the application is resumed (when you switch back to using PM) but if the file's modification date hasn't changed, then the image won't be reloaded.  Forcing a rescan won't help either since it does exactly the same thing (check for modified files, new files that didn't exist before, and files that no longer exist.)

-Kirk