Author Topic: Multiple IPTC doesn't show up  (Read 3366 times)

Offline robd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multiple IPTC doesn't show up
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »
Hello,

I am using PM version 4.6.3 on a Macbook pro with OS X 10.6.2.

I was just going through a few folders and adding IPTC data to lots of files at one time by selecting all files in the folder and using the keyboard short cut command+I opening up the IPTC stationary pad.  I have a default .XMP that I saved and just leave on the pad, changing only the caption.  I've filled in all of the sections that begin with contact (ie. contact phone number, email etc.) all of that on the right hand side of the pad.

When I click apply stationary to selected to all of my images it runs through its thing and shows a box that it is working.  But my problem is when I go to double check whether everything has gotten attached, the location info, photographer and credit and the caption are the only sections that appear. None of my contact information has become attached.  I thought it just might not be showing it in PM, but when I import into Photoshop, the same fields appear blank.

This only occurs with folders with many photos, over 100 or so.  And sometimes the contact information shows up in some images, but doesn't show up in most. Is there a file limit for this process to work properly or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Edit: It might also be important to note that these are all RAW (.CR2) files from Canon 7D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:06:50 PM by robd »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Multiple IPTC doesn't show up
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 02:33:27 AM »
This should definitely work and is what I do regularly (albeit with nef files). My guess now is that your xmp/iptc preferences may be off. Do you have them set to include xmp as well as read xmp before iptc? Also what are your settings wrt the treatment of sidecar files?

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
Robby,

I am using PM version 4.6.3 on a Macbook pro with OS X 10.6.2.

I was just going through a few folders and adding IPTC data to lots of files at one time by selecting all files in the folder and using the keyboard short cut command+I opening up the IPTC stationary pad.  I have a default .XMP that I saved and just leave on the pad, changing only the caption.  I've filled in all of the sections that begin with contact (ie. contact phone number, email etc.) all of that on the right hand side of the pad.

When I click apply stationary to selected to all of my images it runs through its thing and shows a box that it is working.  But my problem is when I go to double check whether everything has gotten attached, the location info, photographer and credit and the caption are the only sections that appear. None of my contact information has become attached.  I thought it just might not be showing it in PM, but when I import into Photoshop, the same fields appear blank.

This only occurs with folders with many photos, over 100 or so.  And sometimes the contact information shows up in some images, but doesn't show up in most. Is there a file limit for this process to work properly or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Edit: It might also be important to note that these are all RAW (.CR2) files from Canon 7D

All of the fields that have an asterisk (*) on them are only represented in XMP.  So if you're going to use them, you need to tell PM to use XMP for your RAW files, so embed XMP and/or use an XMP sidecar file.  You also need to make sure that when reading metadata you tell PM to read XMP first.

What other applications are you going to use with your CR2 files?  Knowing that would help me tell you the best settings.

-Kirk

Offline robd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
Kirk,

I am new to all of this so I have just been leaving most settings on their defaults from when I loaded the program up.  I will only be using my files in PM and Adobe Photoshop CS4 for now.