Author Topic: Aperture 3 Workflow  (Read 4006 times)

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Aperture 3 Workflow
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »
I probably should figure this out on my own, but what is the recommended PM Preferences for Aperture 3?  I noticed that Aperture 3 is not in the PM Help Workflow section.

This is from the Aperture 3 Help:

More Information About IPTC Metadata
In Aperture, you can import and export IPTC metadata for an image in an XMP sidecar file. XMP sidecar files are XML files that accompany each image containing IPTC and other metadata associated with the image. Any field containing information in the IPTC Core metadata view for a selected image version can be exported to the XMP sidecar file for that version. The IPTC Core metadata view is compliant with the IPTC Core specification version 1.0.

Thanks for the awesome support!

Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Aperture 3 Workflow
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Rich,

I probably should figure this out on my own, but what is the recommended PM Preferences for Aperture 3?  I noticed that Aperture 3 is not in the PM Help Workflow section.

This is from the Aperture 3 Help:

More Information About IPTC Metadata
In Aperture, you can import and export IPTC metadata for an image in an XMP sidecar file. XMP sidecar files are XML files that accompany each image containing IPTC and other metadata associated with the image. Any field containing information in the IPTC Core metadata view for a selected image version can be exported to the XMP sidecar file for that version. The IPTC Core metadata view is compliant with the IPTC Core specification version 1.0.

Set Photo Mechanic to an XMP-sidecar-only workflow.  The easiest way to do this is to clear the checkbox in the Files tab of the Preferences dialog that reads "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preferences updates".  Also on the same tab, make sure that the popup menu titled "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" to read "For all photos".

That should do it.  Then you'll have to make sure that Aperture 3 imports XMP sidecars before you import your photos.

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Aperture 3 Workflow
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  That worked, of course.

BTW, I was puzzled with how to get the IPTC info I had already entered into the sidecar.  It didn't take a minute to discover the "Update IPTC/XMP" feature.  That is a sign of a well-designed program.

Rich