Author Topic: Macbook Pro & Superdrive  (Read 3494 times)

Offline TheDrunkard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Macbook Pro & Superdrive
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:33:33 PM »
I just got a Macbook Pro and of course the first thing I installed was Photo Mechanic (It's so freakin' fast!), only one problem (if you want to call it that). When I launch Photo Mechanic the Macbook's Superdrive sounds as though it's trying to load a disc (exactly like the sound it makes when you boot the computer up). I would have to believe that PM is simply checking the drive to see if there are any discs loaded. This is not a problem that will stop me from doing what I need to do, it's just starting to become really annoying. The only reason I mention this is because PM never triggered the superdrive on my Powerbook to activate like it's doing on my Macbook Pro.

Should you need this info:
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2GB, 100gb 7200-rpm
OSX - 10.4.7
Photo Mechanic - 4.4.3.2

Thanks,
MJ
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:35:56 PM by TheDrunkard »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Macbook Pro & Superdrive
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
MJ,

I just got a Macbook Pro and of course the first thing I installed was Photo Mechanic (It's so freakin' fast!), only one problem (if you want to call it that). When I launch Photo Mechanic the Macbook's Superdrive sounds as though it's trying to load a disc (exactly like the sound it makes when you boot the computer up). I would have to believe that PM is simply checking the drive to see if there are any discs loaded. This is not a problem that will stop me from doing what I need to do, it's just starting to become really annoying. The only reason I mention this is because PM never triggered the superdrive on my Powerbook to activate like it's doing on my Macbook Pro.

Should you need this info:
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2GB, 100gb 7200-rpm
OSX - 10.4.7
Photo Mechanic - 4.4.3.2

The sound comes from Photo Mechanic checking with the DiscRecording.framework for the existence of a write-capable optical drive.  It makes the same noise on my MacBook.

I have to test for it so that I can enable/disable the Burn Photos to Disc menu item.  I cache the value and don't ask for it again.  For some reason the framework causes the drive to make noise.

-Kirk