Author Topic: IPTC problems with RAW files in Apeture  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
IPTC problems with RAW files in Apeture
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:49:58 AM »
After editing my captions in Photo Mechanic I then import the RAW files into Aperture, however Aperture does not read the full caption, for example if the caption was five lines long, Aperture only reads the first three.

Aperture reads the captions correctly from JPEG files, but not RAW. I have tried the option for 'Add embedded IPTC4XMP' with the 'always create and/or update XMP sidecar flles with IPTC4XMP' but this produces the same problem.

Is there a known way to import images edited in PM into Aperture complete with the full caption, keywords and other IPTC fields?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC problems with RAW files in Apeture
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:38 AM »
After editing my captions in Photo Mechanic I then import the RAW files into Aperture, however Aperture does not read the full caption, for example if the caption was five lines long, Aperture only reads the first three.

Aperture reads the captions correctly from JPEG files, but not RAW. I have tried the option for 'Add embedded IPTC4XMP' with the 'always create and/or update XMP sidecar flles with IPTC4XMP' but this produces the same problem.

Is there a known way to import images edited in PM into Aperture complete with the full caption, keywords and other IPTC fields?

At this time Aperture does not support XMP data whether embedded or as a sidecar file.  It supports only IPTC data.  I'm surprised that Aperture does see some caption data in your RAW files, but not all of it.  Sounds like a bug to me.

-Kirk