Author Topic: Backup images  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
Backup images
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:51:04 AM »
hello, this is of course not an an fully PM-related question, but I am sure ( I hope) that everybody thinks about that.

in which way do u backup your images?

I have the problem that over the time some JPGs are destroyed.. I Dont know why. So, if I use only a simply backup mechanism (like Microsoft SyncToy), the backuped images also will get destroyed over the time. I think I need some kind of versioning.

How do you handle this?
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
Re: Backup images
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:00:42 AM »
I found this piece of software.

http://www.versionbackup.eu/

what do you think about it for this purpose?
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Backup images
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:58:17 AM »
I don't know the product you mentioned so I can't comment on it. But to answer your original question, here's my approach.

1. On my Mac I use the OS built in Time Machine to make automatic and regular (hourly) and "versioned" backups of my complete system (excluding some rapidly changing files as well as virtual machine images).
2. The files I excluded in step 1 (and which I find important), I backup manually using a command-line script I wrote myself. This script is built around the command-line tool rsync, and does make versioned backups as well (each version includes all files, but only the changed files take up space).
3. Step 1 and 2 backup to a constantly attached external HD. For extra safety I also create a backup of all my user files to two sets of backup disks. These sets get rotated, with one copy always stored externally. This way when my house burns down or things get stolen, I at least have a backup of my files. This backup is not versioned, and is created using rsync as well.

As you are on a PC, I suggest you look for something similar to perform step 1 with. Perhaps the software you mentioned does this.

Step 2 can be done perfectly well on the PC as well (rsync is available); heck the (now perl) script I use, I originally wrote and used on a PC!

Step 3 can easily be performed with synctoy (or by rsync) on the PC.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl