Author Topic: Error copying any tagged images etc  (Read 3652 times)

Offline GlynDewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error copying any tagged images etc
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:40:19 AM »
Hi There,
I have just purchased PM which on the trial worked flawlessly. However now when I go to drag selected/tagged/colour marked images into a folder it doesn't allow it. A dialogue box flashes momentarily on the screen but nothing happens. If i go through the COPY procedure to a folder on my HD every time I get the Photo Mechanic unable to copy and experienced an error message.

This is driving me nuts especially as it worked before I purchased it and now I've spent my money it doesn't.

Any help appreciated. Oh and I have downloaded an Archive but then when I look at my images the ones I originally tagged in the latest version of PM are missing ie the file names are there but only a grey box appears where they should be amongst the other images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error copying any tagged images etc
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »
I have just purchased PM which on the trial worked flawlessly. However now when I go to drag selected/tagged/colour marked images into a folder it doesn't allow it. A dialogue box flashes momentarily on the screen but nothing happens. If i go through the COPY procedure to a folder on my HD every time I get the Photo Mechanic unable to copy and experienced an error message.

This is driving me nuts especially as it worked before I purchased it and now I've spent my money it doesn't.

Any help appreciated. Oh and I have downloaded an Archive but then when I look at my images the ones I originally tagged in the latest version of PM are missing ie the file names are there but only a grey box appears where they should be amongst the other images.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?  What OS are you running Photo Mechanic on?

-Kirk

Offline GlynDewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:01 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm running the latest version of PM 4.6.3. I have downloaded an archive but when I run that the images that I tagged in 4.6.3 and have infact removed the tags from don't show up ie I just get the file name but a grey space above.

I'm running a Mac using Snow Leopard as I was when I was using the trial over the last month when PM worked flawlessly.

Any ideas?

Offline GlynDewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:20:23 AM »
Kirk,

Continuing on from this...

I initially viewed the photos on disc inside PM. I then went through and colour marked the photos I wanted to work on. I then viewed the photos that were coloured only and tried to drag them across into a folder for editing. PM would not let this happen. I then removed the colour marking and instead tagged the photos I wanted to edit. Still PM would not allow me to drag the images over. This worked perfectly during the trial. I then tried the copy/move command but PM returned an error.

I then after many times trying downloaded an archive version of PM to see if it would work. This time when I viewed the card the images I had previously selected, then deselected, colour marked and then removed the colour mark were not showing up in the viewing window. All I could see in the space where the images were supposed to be was a grey square/rectangle with the file name underneath, but no image.

I then tried to get the photos using Adobe Bridge however the images I had originally tagged etc in PM were not showing up either.

I then used Finder to view the contents of the card. This showed the files but again the ones I had originally tagged, colour marked in PM were not showing as thumbnails and were infact showing as having been corrupted and would NOT open.

The only way I have been able to recover the images is by using Rescue Disc Pro from Sandisk.

This is extremely worrying as the images here (over 300) were from a 4 hour studio shoot; client fashion/commercial shoot and at this stage I am now very apprehensive about using PM if it is going to seemingly corrupt my files.

I would really appreciate an idea of what is going on here as before PM worked perfectly during the trial period with the same cards. Incidentally I have tried this with other cards too and the same problems occurs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:23 AM »
I initially viewed the photos on disc inside PM. I then went through and colour marked the photos I wanted to work on. I then viewed the photos that were coloured only and tried to drag them across into a folder for editing. PM would not let this happen. I then removed the colour marking and instead tagged the photos I wanted to edit. Still PM would not allow me to drag the images over. This worked perfectly during the trial. I then tried the copy/move command but PM returned an error.

I then after many times trying downloaded an archive version of PM to see if it would work. This time when I viewed the card the images I had previously selected, then deselected, colour marked and then removed the colour mark were not showing up in the viewing window. All I could see in the space where the images were supposed to be was a grey square/rectangle with the file name underneath, but no image.

I then tried to get the photos using Adobe Bridge however the images I had originally tagged etc in PM were not showing up either.

I then used Finder to view the contents of the card. This showed the files but again the ones I had originally tagged, colour marked in PM were not showing as thumbnails and were infact showing as having been corrupted and would NOT open.

The only way I have been able to recover the images is by using Rescue Disc Pro from Sandisk.

This is extremely worrying as the images here (over 300) were from a 4 hour studio shoot; client fashion/commercial shoot and at this stage I am now very apprehensive about using PM if it is going to seemingly corrupt my files.

I would really appreciate an idea of what is going on here as before PM worked perfectly during the trial period with the same cards. Incidentally I have tried this with other cards too and the same problems occurs.

Without knowing what version you ran as a trial version I cannot speculate.  Please try this version:

<http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM4.6.3x.zip>

It should solve your copy issue.  As for the other issue about editing directly on your card: please never do this.  Always Copy or better yet use Ingest first.  Until you have copies of your photos on your hard drive you have no backup at all.

-Kirk

Offline GlynDewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »
Kirk,

The version I was using would have been the one that was around until 2 days ago as when my trial ran out I purchased it.
FYI I was not editing photos within PM, I was merely tagging the ones that I wanted to bring over off the memory card.

I have also tried the download included but unfortunately the damage has been done to the files already.

Glyn

Offline GlynDewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
Kirk,

FYI I've now tried PM out a disc that I've taken 100 shots with to test it. I have tried the Ingest as you say and it works perfectly and this is how I'll be using it from now on unlike how I used it before.

Yet again I am (quite rightly) reminded of backing up; something I consider myself to be quite paranoid about but I guess rightly so.

Despite this 'incident' which I'm putting down to user error PM I consider to be an extremely good piece of kit, when used correctly.

Thanks for your time with this. The original files are still corrupt however thankfully I have managed to recover them using Sandisk Recovery Pro so all is not lost.

Regards,
Glyn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
The version I was using would have been the one that was around until 2 days ago as when my trial ran out I purchased it.
FYI I was not editing photos within PM, I was merely tagging the ones that I wanted to bring over off the memory card.

Tagging, Rating, setting Color Classes, Cropping, and IPTC Captioning all can modify files.

Always Ingest or browse the card and make your selections and then use the Copy command, but never edit (any of the above operations) before Ingest/Copy.

-Kirk