Author Topic: Structured Keywording or other Method  (Read 3607 times)

Offline flyboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Structured Keywording or other Method
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
Win7 64bit - PM 4.6.3

What suggestions would you folks have for inputing Keywords into several thousand photos?

What I'm looking for is best way and how to do. Should I use Structured Keywording or Select then do Keywording. Having a difficult time understanding Structured Keywording. Have read help file several times, However, just not comfortable with it yet.

How about an example: If I wanted to do Family, by Last Name, Then First Name or Locations, or objects etc..

Is it possible to select more than one item when using Structured Keywording?

All suggestions welecomed and if you know of a file I could read up on that would be nice as well.

Thanks to all..Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Structured Keywording or other Method
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
Jim,

What suggestions would you folks have for inputing Keywords into several thousand photos?

What I'm looking for is best way and how to do. Should I use Structured Keywording or Select then do Keywording. Having a difficult time understanding Structured Keywording. Have read help file several times, However, just not comfortable with it yet.

How about an example: If I wanted to do Family, by Last Name, Then First Name or Locations, or objects etc..

Is it possible to select more than one item when using Structured Keywording?

All suggestions welecomed and if you know of a file I could read up on that would be nice as well.

Your needs sound fairly straightforward.  You could easily get by with a simple list of keywords, or you could use a combination of a list of keywords and Structured Keywords.

You can learn quite a lot about hierarchical keywords (or what we call Structured Keywords) from this website:

http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/

Let me know if anything doesn't make sense or if you have any further questions.

-Kirk

Offline flyboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
Thank you Kirk.

Looked at Web Site and, Whew! I gotta a lot of reading to do. I'm sure my answer lies within.

BTW: When you have several files selected in PM, then press Ctrl - Del on PC, Should that short cut delete these files?

I'm am happy that I tried PM some time ago as I have found this program to be most useful. Thanks again for your help.3

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »
Jim,

BTW: When you have several files selected in PM, then press Ctrl - Del on PC, Should that short cut delete these files?

I'm sorry but I'm on vacation at the moment and don't have a Windows PC with me right now.  What does the menu item on the File menu say the keyboard shortcut is?

-Kirk

Offline flyboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to buz you while on vacation.
PS it says Ctrl-Del..........Just tried again and it worked.......So maybe I didn't press Ctrl-Del like I thought.
Enjoy your Vacation.
Jim