Author Topic: Menu Fade In (WinXP)  (Read 9637 times)

Offline wfpdx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Menu Fade In (WinXP)
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:17:17 PM »
Is there a way to disable the Menu Fade-in (animation) such that the menus appear immediately? Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Menu Fade In (WinXP)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:47:57 PM »
Is there a way to disable the Menu Fade-in (animation) such that the menus appear immediately? Thanks.

Not via any preference in Photo Mechanic.

There are some system-wide settings that may be helpful.  Open the System Properties control panel.  Click on the Advanced tab.  Click on the Settings button in the Performance group.  On the dialog that appears, you can uncheck the checkboxes that say things like "Fade or slide menus into view" or "Fade out menu items after clicking", etc.

Also, failing that, I think you can get something called TweakUI from Microsoft which will allow further customizations.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline wfpdx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:32:44 AM »
Unfortunately, the system wide setting has no effect. If would be nice to be able to turn off the menu animations, just like in the Microsoft Office products.

Also, PM is now crashing on exit. I sent the error report, but here's the errorlog.txt which went with the email:

Photo Mechanic caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module MFC71.DLL at 001b:7c1768a1.

Exception handler called in ExceptionAttacher.cpp - AfxWinMain.
Error occurred at 8/22/2006 00:16:50.
C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic\Photo Mechanic.exe, run by wayne.
Operating system:  Windows XP (5.1.2600).
2 processor(s), type 586.
43% memory in use.
768 MBytes physical memory.
432 MBytes physical memory free.
1492 MBytes paging file.
1203 MBytes paging file free.
2048 MBytes user address space.
1965 MBytes user address space free.
Read from location 0015801c caused an access violation.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:23 AM »
Unfortunately, the system wide setting has no effect. If would be nice to be able to turn off the menu animations, just like in the Microsoft Office products.

They don't animate at all on my system when I am using Photo Mechanic.  The menus popup very quickly, as fast as I can pass the mouse over them.  You do understand that Photo Mechanic is not a Microsoft Office product, right? ;)

I do not know what controls the menu fading effect that you describe.  I do know that it does not do it for me, so there must be some setting outside of Photo Mechanic that controls this.  What setting this is, I do not know...

Quote from: wfpdx
Also, PM is now crashing on exit. I sent the error report, but here's the errorlog.txt which went with the email:

Photo Mechanic caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module MFC71.DLL at 001b:7c1768a1.

Exception handler called in ExceptionAttacher.cpp - AfxWinMain.
Error occurred at 8/22/2006 00:16:50.
C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic\Photo Mechanic.exe, run by wayne.
Operating system:  Windows XP (5.1.2600).
2 processor(s), type 586.
43% memory in use.
768 MBytes physical memory.
432 MBytes physical memory free.
1492 MBytes paging file.
1203 MBytes paging file free.
2048 MBytes user address space.
1965 MBytes user address space free.
Read from location 0015801c caused an access violation.

We know about the problem and have been looking into it for some time now.  The crash does not result in any data loss whatsoever.

-Kirk

Offline wfpdx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:11:27 AM »
Of course I know that PM is not an MS office product and that's a very silly comment.

My question, as a user that has purchased the application, is related to the fact that PM's menus draw quite observably rather than appearing instantly open at the mouse click. The background for the menu draws first and then the content shows up on the menu. It happens quite quickly, granted, but it is apparent and to my own eyes, it is a bit distracting. My assumption was that this was intentional, as in the menu was using an animation effect and thus I asked if it were possible to turn it off. However, you've indicated that it is not using an animation effect.

If it can't be changed, then that's that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:21:28 AM »
Of course I know that PM is not an MS office product and that's a very silly comment.

Exactly, intentional, thus the ;) in my comment.

Quote from: wfpdx
My question, as a user that has purchased the application, is related to the fact that PM's menus draw quite observably rather than appearing instantly open at the mouse click. The background for the menu draws first and then the content shows up on the menu. It happens quite quickly, granted, but it is apparent and to my own eyes, it is a bit distracting. My assumption was that this was intentional, as in the menu was using an animation effect and thus I asked if it were possible to turn it off. However, you've indicated that it is not using an animation effect.

If it can't be changed, then that's that.

I have not specifically added any animation effect to the menus.  The menus are drawn by a combination of the Dundas Ultimate Toolbox and Windows itself.  Like I said, I don't see any such effect, so either I have some setting turned off system-wide on my system that you don't, or it is possible that you have something installed that adds that effect to other applications.

If I could change it so that it didn't do the effect, I would change it in a heartbeat.

-Kirk

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »
Try this...Right click on desktop - Go Properties -Choose Appearance tab - Choose Effects- Change from fade to scroll.

Hope this is what you looking for.....

Regards

Miguel

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline wfpdx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
Yeah, already tried this setting. Doesn't make a difference. Thanks for the replies, though!

Offline wfpdx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 06:32:02 PM »
And there's nothing wrong with a little silliness, now and again!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »
Yeah, already tried this setting. Doesn't make a difference. Thanks for the replies, though!

Try unchecking the box that says "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips".  This should turn off all transitions instead of doing the scrolling transition which I would imagine wouldn't be any faster.

HTH,

-Kirk